Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Nova Scotian Fishing Boat




When I was about 11 or 12 years old a neighbour down the street took my friend and myself fishing on his boat.

A couple of times a week during the summer we would go way out into the mouth of Halifax Harbour and fish for Haddock and Cod.

It was always a 'highlight' of the summer for us and he taught us about small craft safety.

His boat was called a 'Cape Islander'. It was a popular boat for 'inshore fisherman' because of it's stability and wasn't too big.

I saw one of these boats the other day going up the Northwest Arm in Halifax. It brought back those wonderful summer days spent fishing.







12 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny what triggers memories.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice memory. And it sounds like he was a great neighbour. We always remember those special moments in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When our childhood memories come back there like little gifts aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite type of boat as well...did you really eat that harbour fish ........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful! Summer boating is always fun. Hey I mentioned you and your great Banana bread on my blog today as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mick! Good to see you! You mentioned MY banana bread on your post? Boy, it's getting around!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful memory! How nice to see a real time part of your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the little things in life that bring pleasure for many years to come.
    I wonder sometimes what simple things I've done that someone will look back on fondly someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gift to have a childhood memory come back to life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adventure for a youngster!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are special memories Jim-- I can imagine that you probably thought you were " hot stuff" to get to ride on that boat when you were young. It's an awesome boat!!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails