Monday, July 16, 2012

Contemplative Monday


How To Defeat Fear


"Once there was a young warrior. Her teacher told her she had to do battle with fear. She didn't want to do that.


It seemed too aggressive; it was scary; it seemed unfriendly. But the teacher said she had to do it and gave instructions for the battle.


The day arrived. The student warrior stood on one side, and fear stood on the other. The warrior was feeling very small, and fear was looking big and wrathful.


The young warrior roused herself and went toward fear, prostrated three times, and asked, 'May I have permission to go into battle with you?'


Fear said, 'Thank you for showing me so much respect that you ask permission.'
Then the young warrior said, 'How can I defeat you?'


Fear replied, 'My weapons are that I talk fast, and I get very close to your face. Then you get completely unnerved, and you do whatever I say. If you don't do what I tell you, I have no power.


You can listen to me, and you can have respect for me. You can even be convinced by me. 


But if you don't do what I say, I have no power.'


In that way the student warrior learned how to defeat fear."




This was taken from Heart Advice: Weekly Quotes From Pema Chodron (click here).





12 comments:

  1. Very nicely put! I will remember this... I have so many (fears).. ugh! Beautiful pictures Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we all have, Bobbi!
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Great lesson and beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! It is a lesson to keep in mind.

      Delete
  3. Love the new header (as always!). Loved the story, too. I will have to keep that one in my mental file cabinet, and pull it out every once in a while, just as a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! That header photo was taken on Sunday at the beach....it was a beautiful day and the ocean was filled with surfers. I had fun editing this photo.
      We all could keep this quote filed away for future reference.

      Delete
  4. Blimey, you are like Plato, except you're not dead! That was indeed a philosophical post, and accompanied by (as always) drop-dead gorgeous photographs. You should be a pro you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like Ani Pema is like Plato! lol
      What makes you think I am not a pro? lol
      Thanks Annie.

      Delete
  5. You know how much I like your photos, and these are some of my very favorites.

    Thank you for the story too. It's timely for me, and I will keep these words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, thanks. Guess we all have to learn to 'deal' with our fears. Ani Pema has been so helpful to me over the past few years. I am happy others can see the wisdom of her words.

      Delete
  6. Fear's technique here sheds light on how some people seem to always know how to get what they want.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails