Saturday, July 14, 2012

July14,1973


Thirty-nine years ago today in a little town in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia, Wolfville to be precise, I met Ron and actually spoke to him.

I was attending Acadia University and had just moved to this college town two weeks prior.

I lived in a small apartment on Main Street across from the post office. And whom do you think worked there.....that`s right Ron!
      
Ron in Nassau,1974.

I had very recently 'left the closet' and I believe I noticed him the first day I went to pick up my mail.

                                   Me, in Nassau too!

It was about two weeks later that we actually stopped and talked. I was a wreck! This was all new to me and I wasn`t sure if I would get `beat up`or not.....actually I was pretty sure I wouldn`t!

Just a couple of days before we met I had been to a movie with my friend Anne. I think it was Cabaret. We were in the theatre and I went to the canteen to get some pop and popcorn.

I hadn`t seen this mysterious fella for about a week and thought that maybe he had left for good.

                                                                     Ron`s surprise 40th....1990.

Anyway, back to the theatre......so there I was at the counter balancing a tray-load of goodies to take back to my seat. The lobby was packed. People were lined up behind me to get their treats.

                                                                     Anne and I `getting down`! at Ron`s 40th!

I turned around to head back with my head looking down at where I was going. To get through the crowd I had to look up to find my way through.

When I did I was face to face with `that mysterious guy`!!!! 

We looked at each other. I dropped the tray and just stood there!! And headed quietly back to my seat.

                                                Ron at 40!

Upon my return Anne asked where the food was. I told her it was too crowded to wait in line!!!

So a few days after this èventful`evening at the movies, I was coming out of the gym heading home when we met again.

This time we stopped and talked.

Thirty-nine years later, today around 6 P.M., the conversation continues.






The number one hit that week back in July 1973.



38 comments:

  1. That is one hell of a story!! What's meant to be is meant to be. Thank you for sharing this with us. Happy Anniversary, you two love birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! And I especially love those old photos. Look at the hair on you, Jim! That moustache. And are those bell bottoms you're wearing in that Nassau photo? Hehehe...priceless. 39 years? Wow, amazing. And absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story and these wonderful images. And may you share many more wonderful years together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, yes I did have hair! Lots of long, curly-wurly hair! Yes they were bell bottoms too! Yes we are priceless alright!! lol
      Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Inger, we are too! We really have grown up together.

      Delete
  4. Yes...the pics from back in the day :) were really cool, but the story is wonderful. I love a good love story of love that has lasted years and years. congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SS! Those pics look so dated, don't they!

      Delete
  5. He really had you rattled, LOL! What a wonderful "how we met" story. But either Ron's age or the date must be wrong regarding his 40th birthday. It would make him 72 now and surely that cannot be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know! Oopps! He of course is 62 NOT 72.....yet!

      Delete
  6. 39 years is not a number you hear much anymore with couples, honeyman and I have been together 30 years... I wish all couples could have 30 40 50 yrs. so much comes with time doesn't it. Somethings come after 20 yrs, 30, 39 yrs, :O)...Comfortable living/loving, love changes and grows with every year, real love, accepting differences because this person means so much to you, knowing that person will always be there for you, knowing you will always be there for that person. A ease that simply cannot come without the investment of time...Somethings you only get with years, No?, :O)...... I wish ya'll a Happy Anniversary and many, many more years to grow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! after a while 'things' just start clicking and most things fall in place! It's a cinch! lol

      Delete
  7. What a great post. 39 years! I'm so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary of the day you met. Love those groovy photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty 'far out' wouldn't you say Terry!? Thanks.

      Delete
  9. you dropped the tray...; )) I would have gone after you myself for all the good it would have done! Happy sweet Anniversary you two, it was obviously kismet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it wouldn't have hurt to try! But who needs that frustration!! lol
      It really was kismet Jojo.....something that we both knew would endure the 'tests of time'!! Lucky for us.

      Delete
  10. Definitely meant to be! 39 years how wonderful for you! Hope your day was special in every way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living a very quiet life here, we had a relaxing day which was 'topped off' with a Sushi dinner. That's what happens after all this time! lol

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful story! I wish you both many more lively conversations and happy years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona! Have a great stay in England!

      Delete
  12. Happy anniversary! What a great story!
    (My husband and I celebrated 39 wonderful years last month.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Pat! Gotta love 1973,eh?

      Delete
  13. I seriously love you two! Or three, sorry Miss Sophie! I am so glad to have met you, albeit on line.....how fantastic to find "the one" and share such special memories xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this Michelle! A certain somebody goes on and on about you and your blog/FB.And rightly so!

      Delete
  14. I'm not sure what I love more, the story or your hair. Happy 39 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! At the time they went 'hand in hand'!!

      Delete
  15. It's those every day things we do that lead us to our destiny. Don't fight it, just enjoy it. Sounds like everything lined up just right to make it work, right from the start. And it's been my pleasure to "know" the two of you the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's basically it Stew along with a lot of hard work!
      You know the pleasure is all ours.

      Delete
    2. Hard work always pays off BIG!
      Now, how old are you guys? Because that bus in the first picture looks like something Rosa Parks would have rode on.

      Delete
  16. You are both so blessed. Some people search their whole life looking for a soul mate-- I'm so happy for you both!!
    Xoxo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad we 'found each other' when we did! I don't think I'd be any good out there!
      Maybe the fact that we are exact opposites as far as zodiac signs go...Ron is a Capricorn and I am a Cancer.....helped make this work for us. I know it's WAY more than that but it seemed to help us along.

      Delete
  17. I'm so sorry that I missed this the first time around. Please stop having Anniversaries on the weekend!
    Jim, I love this how you first met and now I will never forget "Your" story.
    Happy Anniversary!
    mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark and that is how I saw it and remember.It was an exciting time!

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails