Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Cathy




The phone rang at 8:30 A.M. this morning. I saw that it was Country Critter Sitters........Sophie's daycare.


Cathy and Mary are sisters and they have run this top of the line day care for dogs for about 7 years now.


I said hello hoping to distinguish whom it was on the other end! They sound exactly alike. I could tell right away that it was Mary.


After the initial niceties she began to cry and tell me that Cathy had died yesterday at lunchtime at home.


This didn't sound right to me. Cathy was only in her late 50's. I have known her since the 70's. I went to university with her. She was a very kind soul and I loved hearing her laugh.


I consider Cathy as being Sophie's 'nanny'. Sophie spent a good deal of time with her for the first year and a half . Cathy spoiled all 'her' dogs. Sophie loved the attention Cathy gave her. Not to mention the treats! lol


This has hit us pretty hard. We are having a difficult time wrapping our brains around this. We are going to spend some time with Mary this afternoon.


Cathy loved classical music and listened to it on the CBC every day. I dedicate the following piece to you Cathy......bon voyage my dear friend.



21 comments:

  1. making sense of something like this is always hard
    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a horrible loss.
    My heart goes out to you/friends, her Family and especially her sister Mary.
    Take care and I'm glad that you will spend some time with Mary today.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jim, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend! I had this happen suddenly with a friend of mine, who was a little older than me (I'm 50). But it really is a very sad reminder of how fragile life is, and how precious friends and family are. Again, I"m so sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jim I'm very sorry to hear that for Mary and for you, Ron and Sophie.

    Best wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm truly sorry to hear of the loss of your good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been an odd week for this sort of thing. A web friend rang me early on Monday morning as I prepared for my First Aid course. It was unusual for him to call me direct. Choking back his tears he told me that Maria, his mother, had died in her sleep that night. I also knew his mother and I know that his loss would be a severe blow to this young man who suffers terribly from ulcerative colitis as he struggles through his Phd course in Environmental Science.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry for everyone's loss of a sister, friend, and nanny. God Speed, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are difficult and emotional times--hang in there boys and Sophie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello... I popped by to see how you are doing, and find that I have turned up when you have had sad news.. bigs to you. Suzie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So heartbreaking. My heart is with anyone touched by the loss. Special thoughts for Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very sorry that you have lost such a good friend, Jim. But, I'm very glad that you had the pleasure of knowing her for all of these years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sorry for your loss. You're all in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. how shocking and sad, I am so sorry. May you be filled with many wonderful memories of Cathy and may you find comfort and healing in those special moments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loosing a friend is always hard.

    She will always be in the hearts of those who knew her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so sorry about your loss...prayers are with all of you....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jim... I am so sad for you all. We just never know, do we? I will be praying for family and friends. Losing a loved one is the hardest thing about life... (((HUGS TO YOU<RON<AND SOPHIE)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jim, I'm so very sorry to read this hard news. Sending prayers for comfort to you and your family, as well as Cathy's...and to all of the pups she has loved, who will surely miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jim, I am so sorry to learn of your loss. Please take care of yourselves and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Jim, I'm so sorry.
    (I'm reading posts in reverse order after smashing my thumb yesterday, so I'm just reading this now. Thumb is fine but sore)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails