Saturday, October 15, 2011

Retro saturday


I picked up these ginger jars in the spring. And because I am partial to most things made in Japan, I bought them.




As can be seen they are by a Satsuma company in Japan.....which one I am not sure. But I do believe that they were probably made in the 80's.....found a similar one online.




I even forget where I bought them....probably the  Salvation Army Thrift Shop in Dartmouth. I love the crackling on them. I have read that this feature is done while in the kiln. It is what most Satsuma porcelain is noted for. And it varies from studio to studio.




Originally these jars must have been filled with dry ginger powder. I can't imagine putting in chunks of fresh ginger.....which are sometimes larger than these jars! At least the ginger is that we use regularly.

11 comments:

  1. Very pretty -I can see why you fell for them -have a lovely weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wherever you bought them, to my mind they are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shape and the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty jars, nice that you have a pair, is that how they were used? As a pair? On the table? Interesting.

    Good Morning, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Jim. My Mum would love those. She also has Imari stuff all over her house...

    ReplyDelete
  6. 非常にきれいな
    Your Friend, メートル.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are pretty, the colors lovely. I remember in the 80's when the ginger jar style was so popular, from lamps to kitchen canisters to decorative jars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly beautiful. I understand why you fell for those beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such delicate and graceful jars!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails