Monday, September 22, 2014

Contemplative Monday



The following quote is from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes from Pema Chodron'.

*** Trungpa Rinpoche is the person who brought Shambhala Buddhism to Halifax in 1986.

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN THINGS ARE UNBEARABLE?



"Trungpa Rinpoche once asked a group of students, "What do you do when you get squeezed?
What do you do when things are unbearable?"


We all sat there wondering what to say. Then he called on us one by one.


We were so scared that we answered very genuinely. 


Almost all of us said something to the effect that we just completely fell apart,


forgot about practice altogether, and become totally habitual in our reactions.


Needless to say, after that we noticed very clearly what we did when we felt attacked,


betrayed, or confused, when we found situations unbearable or unacceptable.


We began to really notice what we did.


Did we close down, or did we open up? Did we feel resentful and bitter, or did we soften?


Did we become wiser or more stupid?


As a result of our pain, did we know more about what it is to be human, or did we know less?


Were we more critical of our world or more generous?"



14 comments:

  1. This is fascinating to contemplate. On the surface, it's such a simple question. But when I try to answer it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it, Mitchell. Yes, sounds simple alright but when we attempt to really notice how we react.....it takes some practice.

      Delete
  2. There is only Jesus Christ, Jim, the only one who is real, the only one who can help in times of desperate need.
    Do you know Jesus my friend? Does He know you?
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris, so good to see you here. And, I might add, that you appear to have a healthy focus in your life. We all need this and we all find our 'way' in different ways.
      To answer your question Chris, 'Do you know Jesus?'......yes I do know who Jesus was and is to so many people. I makes me very happy that so many people find comfort in Christian teachings,and as well, for those who get comfort in other faiths.....Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and any other means by which they get peace and a sense of compassion for their fellow man.
      Second question...'Does he know me?' Quite simply Chris, no. As I am not a follower of your faith, I do not believe that there is any supreme being that it responsible for my well-being.

      Delete
    2. He really wants to know you Jim, and is waiting for your to come to Him. I hope you do. The time is fast approaching when you will be glad you did.
      Not here to argue Jim but I have to say this: Jesus IS the only way. Sorry if that sounds bigoted but it's simply the truth. Everyone will know this one day but not everyone will find out in a good way (if you know what I mean?)
      If I can help you to find Him in any humble way I can Jim, please let me know and I'd be glad to answer any questions (however difficult to hear or answer) I can.
      Please give it some thought my friend.

      Delete
  3. Things get to be too much? I open the back door, let out a loud scream, take a deep breath (as I can) and go back into the house.
    When things go to crap, there isn't much you can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Primal screaming is so good for us!! I used to do it quite often, Sharon, I used to do it often on the way home from school in the car for the first few years of teaching. And IT WORKS!
      Well, when things go crap, they go crap. I do think we can learn from that though to maybe slow things down a bit from 'going crap' again.

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy sky photos. Being landlocked, I say that the sky is my ocean.
    Jim, would you tell Ron I couldn't comment on his blog? When I tried, it took me to a different page. My computer is not well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Terry, what a beautiful 'ocean' you have!!

      Delete
  5. Oops, never mind on the Ron's blog thing. User error, I got it done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shots and I really like these words of wisdom. Definitely something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. when nothing makes sense, when it hurts just to breathe, I live day to day, moment to moment, minute to minute, when your world crashes, all you can do Is live from one minute to the next....the pain is excruciating, so minute by minute.....love you sky photos Jim

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails