Sunday, June 15, 2014

Eclectic Tastes


Today is Father's Day.
And here is a photo I found of my Dad
when he was a soldier in the Canadian Army:


Of all the memories I have as a child, one that stands out is the time my father
spent at the piano playing tunes for his children.

I remember us all standing around him vying for the best spot closest to him
and my mother nearby singing the words for us to learn.
You see, my father would not sing, he was the piano player.

Dad will be 98 years old next weekend and he continues to play the piano
but with difficulty he tells me.
He lives at Camp Hill Veterans Hospital in Halifax now
where he is enjoying teasing the nurses
and is an active member of the 'food committee'
and 'song writing' group.

Thanks Dad for all that you have taught me
and Happy Father's Day.

Dad used to have a lot of fun playing this tune as did we learning it!







9 comments:

  1. memories of times all those years ago, sometimes it feels just like it was last week. Lovely photo to have, and so good to know he is happy and can keep on playing where he is now. Your words, again a great tribute to your Dad. Hugs,Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad has beautiful, kind eyes it lite up his face, and the goodness, I loved his story knowing what he loved in music, it is a great tribute to your dad, seems you take after him in looks and kindness, my dad died so long ago, but hey give your dad a kiss for me, who says i can't wish him a happy father's day, beautiful tribute Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you still have your father and that he is still playing the piano. What great memories and what a rich heritage it is to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo. Great memories. Great music.Wish I could hear your father play it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Jim, and I want to add here that I loved your photographs in yesterday's post. I think every single one spoke to me, but the first, with its array of colour was especially wonderful. Happy Father's Day to your dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Father's Day to your father, Jim and wish him a happy birthday as well, he will be 98 ....WOW!
    Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post, Jim. What great memories you have, and how lucky you are that your dad is still going strong! Cherish every moment with him. Happy father's day to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photo. How wonderful that your dad is doing well and still playing the piano. I hope he has a happy Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Father's Day to your dad. The photo is great. And Happy Father's Day to Sophie's dads.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails