Monday, June 30, 2014

Contemplative Monday



The following is from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes from Pema Chodron'.

HEAVEN AND HELL


"There's another story that you may have read that has to do with
 what we call heaven and hell, life and death, good and bad.


It's a story about how those things don't really exist except as a creation of our own minds.


It goes like this: A big burly samurai comes to the wise man and says,
"Tell me the nature of heaven and hell."


And the roshi looks him in the face and says: "Why should I tell a scruffy, 
disgusting, miserable slob like you?"


The samurai starts to get purple in the face, his hair starts to stand up, 
but the roshi won't stop, he keeps saying,
"A miserable worm like you, do you think I should tell you anything?"


Consumed by rage, the samurai draws his sword,
 and he's just about to cut off the head of the roshi.


Then the roshi says, "That's hell."


The samurai, who is in fact a sensitive person, instantly gets it,
that he just created his own hell; he was deep in hell.


It was black and hot, filled with hatred, self-protection, anger,
and resentment, so much so that he was going to kill this man.


Tears fill his eyes and he starts to cry and he puts his palms together and the roshi says,
"That's heaven."





24 comments:

  1. What a majestic way to show and to know, heaven and hell, I believe in both...and the images, soothing ethereal, magnificent, Bravo Jim! That's a lovely lesson for a Monday morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. and forgot to ask can I have your permission to make one of your ocean photos as background for my screen on my laptop? If you'd rather not, don't worry about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By all means Lorraine.....you may use one of my ocean photos.
      I am happy you like them.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jim it's a great gift that you give me, I can gaze at the screen and dream :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, it's very, very true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Mick! Don't we just LOVE to make our own hell here on earth. Nice to know we can also make a little bit of heaven as well! Like you do at Casblanca!!

      Delete
  4. I think this is my favorite Monday/PC post you've done, Jim. Very powerful. And your photos are so summer-lovely! I'm longing to feast my eyes on Nova Scotia. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what an incredible message...we create our own heaven and our own hell. Thank you for giving me something to think of today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Keith, isn't it. In all wisdom, it is very attainable to us all.
      Good to 'see' you and have a great day!

      Delete
  6. Back again, Jim! I really enjoyed your family photos taken on your dad's 98th ~ He looks amazing. You have a fine and fun looking family. I'm rooting for your dad to make it a ways past 100 in good health and cheer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a very powerful 'quote' by Ani Pema, Louise. You know what I like about it? The ability we all have to make this journey we are all on an 'heavenly' experience. It really is up to us to make our lives happy and enjoyable.
      I /we are all rooting for Dad to make to and past 100 years. His great grandmother, Sophie, (yes, our Sophie's namesake) lived to 103!!!
      Happy Canada Day Louise and see you later this month in Nova Scotia!!

      Delete
  7. Oh, yes. We create our own heaven and hell.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we, Janie!
      Hope your day is going well and you are creating a glorious one for yourself!!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I liked it too, Debra. Had a punch and a good lesson!
      Happy Canada Day!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful images and a great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Pat, I was thinking that the title may scare off people from reading the 'lesson'. Happy to see that it didn't.
      You are approaching a big American holiday coming up on Friday. Have a great celebration!!

      Delete
  10. Golden arrows in the sun
    Lovely photos jimbo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they are, John. These photos were taken directly across the water on the other shore in Cow Bay the other day.
      How is the 'badger hunter' fairing these days in the 'village'?

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. It is a good lesson, eh Terry.
      Enjoying the beautiful summer in the mountains, I imagine!

      Delete
  12. I've heard different versions of that story but always the ending is the same...hmmmm. great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need a reminder now and again, don't we Joanna (I'll call you this from now on as I see you use an 'a' now).
      Hope your day is going well. Any little projects happening in that head of yours lately?

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails