Monday, September 9, 2013

Contemplative Monday


Today's quote is taken from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes From Pema Chodron'.

CULTIVATING COMPASSION


"Compassion practice is daring.


It involves learning to relax and allowing ourselves to move gently 
toward what scares us.


The trick to doing this is to stay with emotional distress without tightening into aversion;


to let fear soften us rather than harden into resistance.


We cultivate bravery by making aspirations.


We make the wish that all beings, including ourselves and those we dislike,


be free of suffering and the root of suffering."



7 comments:

  1. Not quite my take on compassion,
    but with a similar conclusion...
    It is something I feel naturally for others
    and I've never second-guessed myself about it
    and its motives. It just is...
    To me though, compassion is more than just wishing, it means doing something about it, in any small measure possible.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting to same end is the important thing. Kindness and compassion go hand in hand. It is easier to do so with people we like and much more difficult with people we don't. Took me years to forgive someone that bullied me in a job and cost me a job I really liked. But came to realize that he must have been hurting badly to do what he did.
      Bruno, we each do what is available around us and what we can.

      Delete
  2. Good contemplative post for today, Jim. Compassion is one of the best traits any of us can have. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Martha compassion is 'the' way to go I feel. So many things would change for the better.

      Delete
  3. Walking this beach and releasing resistance and aversion. A good lesson today, Jim with your accompanying photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach is so good for sorting things out Barb.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful lesson, Jim. Too often, I feel, pity is mistaken for compassion.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails