Saturday, March 2, 2013

Saturday Morning Post


The week that was:

Brian, Carolyn and Ron 

On Thursday morning we arranged with our good friends, Carolyn and Brian, 
to meet at the Halifax International Airport.


They were 'seeing off' their daughter on her March Break to Manitoba.
Carolyn and Brian live in the neighbouring province of New Brunswick
and got up pretty early to get here. The Halifax flight was more convenient
than the ones offered in New Brunswick.

On a wall at the airport outside....Starbucks.

So while the daughter was in the boarding lounge waiting for her 'delayed'
flight to start boarding, we adults got a chance to catch up.
And that we did over lunch.

A very big globe-thingy at the airport.






Once we heard that 'daughter' was safe on board we headed back to our vehicles
and said our good-byes.

Carolyn and Ron


It is always so good to spend time with Carolyn and Brian. I have known her since 1973
when we were in university together.
And also she and Brian were our 'best woman and best man' 
at our marriage ceremony in 2009.

Moi....

 I don't normally post photos of myself...but Lisa from Chicago (click)
stated not too long ago that she wished I would! Why?! I have
no idea! But this is for you you Lisa! You see, I am old enough 
to be a grandfather! lol She will understand this!


So, on to Friday of this week:


I noticed a Canada Post truck in the parking lot at the Park
and I loved the pictures of stamps on it.


It was celebrating the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.


You see over 100 of the victims of the Titanic are buried in Halifax. If you would like to learn more about this, click on this link: Titanic Burial Site


I love the art work and the colours here......a job very well done I feel.
Information on the design and designers here: stamp design and designers
Funny thing is I had forgotten till now that one of the designers
is an acquaintance of ours...Dennis Page from Halifax,
who just happens to be Ellen Page's, the actress, father.
There you go!

The Post-Woman couldn't get in her vehicle fast enough to avoid getting photo taken! Too slow!






33 comments:

  1. Hello Jim,
    Did you know they are building a new Titanic for February 2016... Like the post van, nothing like that here! Mr.Ron looks happy, good place to meet for lunch! Have a good weekend!
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Ivan. That will be interesting to see.
      A good weekend to you too.

      Delete
  2. Nice photo of the umm, globe-thingy Jim! Lol. Have an awesome weekend and thanks for the b-day wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome, youngster!
      a good weekend to you too.

      Delete
  3. Good morning Saturday, enjoyed your post-good to see a photo of you too. Last year there was a couple commemorative specials on the titantic-that is a a very cool van my father in law (now in his 90s) specialized in stamps he would appreciate seeing that-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy. Maybe he could see the links I posted and I believe they are for sale.

      Delete
  4. That is the coolest looking Canada Post truck I've seen so far. Have you visited the Fairview Cemetery where the Titanic victims are buried?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Martha. When I first saw it I didn't know what it was. Then I saw Canada Post logo.
      Yes we have been at the Fairview Cemetery. It is sad even today. There are some 'unknown' graves' and one that was identified last year after all these years.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure those stamps are still available. I must get my hands on some for my daddy. He would really love them.
    It's so nice to see old friends. Even if just for a short visit. It makes you feel good inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do Stew. He will be tickled pink to get some of these!
      It was good to see our friends.....it has been a while.

      Delete
  6. Very nice shots indeed! Good to 'see' you in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me Fiona! Still not used to seeing me at this stage in my life. But I will get over it!

      Delete
    2. You should show them your most recent FB profile picture, hon!!

      Delete
  7. Oh, Manitoba is DELIGHTFUL in March, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can just imagine!! lol Our friend Brian is from there and he and family moved here just 4 years ago......he's starting to sound like us now!!

      Delete
  8. I suppose it's nice to get out and about.

    Still spitting here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still snowing?! But you live in the south! I live in the north! It's not snowing here......what's up?
      Soon you will be in the middle of spring and will be gloating all over the place to us poor cold northerners!! lol

      Delete
  9. It's always fun to catch up with old friends--I enjoy it as well, and always am reminded of the history I share with them and that they are true treasures in my life!

    I'm the same way as you about posting pictures of myself--You have no excuse to not do it more often, me on the other hand, I have a really good one, I'm just not sure what it is! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have all helped each other through those 'difficult times' that life throws at our heads now and again.
      I don't know why I have a problem about sharing photos of me. I plan to get over it soon.

      Delete
  10. Nice shots of your get-together at the airport. I love the Post Truck decked out in commemorative stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it and others like have been driving around for months! Glad I saw this one and the post woman was very nice and LOVED Sophie!!

      Delete
  11. That post truck is just beautiful. You don't look so bad yourself and how nice for you and Ron to meet up with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it Inger! Very photographable!
      Well thanks, just not used to 'exposing' myself!

      Delete
  12. JIM!!! Thanks for that. I always enjoy seeing your handsome face! Grandfather?! Pfft!

    It was so great that you could meet up with friends, even if it was at the airport.
    Then again, that airport is pretty cool. You would love O'Hare Airport here in Chicago. LOTS of things to photograph. ;-)

    I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! There! That's it! No more! lol
      O'Hare Airport is one of the biggest in North America, right? I can just imagine how big it is.
      a good weekend to you too, Lisa.

      Delete
  13. Such a happy post... well, maybe not the Titanic part... but still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Happy! That's us! Well we try our best to show this side. Now why aren't you at that beautiful beach of yours along the Mediterranean? Tell me that! lol

      Delete
  14. I like your photo. You are very handsome and no one cares if you are old enough to be a grandfather. I'm old enough to be a granny, but my darn kids won't give me any grandchildren.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks Janie. One of these days you may be totally surprised! Hope so.

      Delete
  15. Hi Jim! I'm glad I don't have to drive from NB to catch a plane in Halifax. Driving from the Cove is bad enough! Cool, cool Titanic stamps ~ another thing my third graders and I enjoyed most years. I'm always curious to see what turns up in your Saturday Morning Posts! And tomorrow: Eclectic Tastes! Be :) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Louise, they could have gotten a flight from Moncton or Saint John but the stop-overs were too long.
      Yes, kids and adults are fascinated with anything Titanic!
      Have fun in Calgary!

      Delete
  16. Nice to see your face, Jim. You're lookin' good!
    Cool postal truck - I haven't seen those stamps - very nice design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, I say that every morning too, Terry!
      Very cool postal truck!

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails