Friday, March 8, 2013

A First For Us


This week we tried out a 'new' place to have lunch. We've heard about it since it 
opened in November last year.


It calls itself an 'old world deli'......the Hali Deli.
 And a deli is not a deli without the above essentials!


It is in an old shop that has had many reincarnations over the years,
from a butcher shop to a diner.


It has these very cool and classic stools next to the fountain counter.


We liked this place so much we showed up two days in a row.
The first day, Wednesday, we tried their sandwiches which were gigantic!!
And delicious.


Yesterday we found ourselves in 'suppertime traffic' 
and realized we hadn't eaten since breakfast......


So we returned again to try out their soups.
And I must confess to get these photos.


Check out this original tin ceiling!! It has been painted but to find one of these
 intact and in good shape......


It's a charming little place, nothing fancy other than it is like
stepping back in time when things were simpler 
and time was spent on the quality of the food.


I can only assume that the name Hali comes from Halifax. I'm so smart!! 


We chose the last one on this list....chicken soup pot.
And plan to 'work' our way through the others in time.


I am not a milkshake fan but I suspect they are good. Ron will just have to try one!


People are starting to talk about the quality of the food here and the good atmosphere.


Here is the soup we ordered with our very first ever Matza Ball (click) in the centre! 
It WAS as good as it looks....delicious!


Just ending with another ceiling shot......love these old ceilings.





20 comments:

  1. love the decor...the stools, the ceiling are just wow. That soup looks pretty good too. I had Matzo ball soup for the first time about two years ago when I attended my first Passover celebration. I wouldn't mind having that one more often...yum. Sounds like a great little place, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And did you like them Joanne? I bet they would differ from place to place, like anything else, families probably have their own 'special' recipes.
      Spring in Seattle yet?

      Delete
  2. That looks like a great place. It's always fun to discover a new place to eat where you feel like you're stepping back in time. Brings back memories. The soup looks delicious. The decor is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I must be Jewish or Greek because I naturally 'lean' towards their food! Will have to get my DNA done and see.

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous! The one thing that Edmonton desperately needs, and does not have, is a good Jewish deli. Winnipeg was blessed with a few, so I was spoiled when I moved here. Someday I'm going to blog about the time I tried to make matzo balls. What a DISASTER it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great to hear about Debra!
      I am surprised Edmonton doesn't have one......I wonder if Calgary does?

      Delete
  4. looks like an awesome place my Larry would have loved the matzo ball

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know what a matza ball is Kathy and I like them!

      Delete
  5. What a great atmosphere! I love the counter stools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are got my attention immediately, Pat, then the food! lol

      Delete
  6. Looks great on the inside, I'm pretty sure I've passed it a time or two, but never went in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you must next time, Pat Hatt!

      Delete
  7. What a great place. I'd love to try the soup.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken soup was a classic chicken soup full of flavour.....you could tell it was good for you, Janie.

      Delete
  8. Apparently, the chocolate cake went over BIG TIME!!!

    I just stayed out in the car ~~~ waiting and waiting!

    Sophie here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Soph! You know chocolate and dogs don't mix well. But thanks for waiting, good dog!

      Delete
  9. What a great-looking place! Love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were more details too Fiona which I plan to 'get' on subsequent visits. I noticed some photos from the 40's......have a great weekend.

      Delete
  10. WOW, my sort of place! Love a good honest diner and I really, really enjoy Jewish food also!
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love that ceiling. I have always wanted one like that. Wow. Beautiful. I am glad you found such a brilliant little spot.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails