Monday, March 25, 2013

Contemplative Monday


The following is a quote from 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes from Pema Chodron'.

Continuing from last week's 'hope and fear' theme:

WE JUST CAN'T JUMP OVER OURSELVES


"Hope and fear come from feeling that we lack something; 
they come from a sense of poverty.


We can't simply relax with ourselves. We hold on to hope, 
and hope robs us from the present moment.


We feel that someone else knows what is going on, 
but that there's something missing in us,


and therefore something is lacking in our world.


Rather than letting our negativity get the better of us, we could acknowledge that right now


we feel like a piece of shit and not be squeamish about taking a good look.


That's the compassionate thing to do. That's the brave thing to do. 


We just can't jump over ourselves as if we were not there. 
It's better to take a straight look at all our hopes and fears.


Then some kind of confidence in our basic sanity arises."





14 comments:

  1. very fitting for me right now , thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Jim, with wonderful photos to go with it. Admitting the truth about how you feel is one huge step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was actually very timely for me :) thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Jim! You hit every nail on the head. Avoiding the truth leads to one problem after another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kittie. I wonder why we tend to avoid things initially? Maybe it's a natural reaction?

      Delete
  5. Hello Jim,
    More wonderful words of wisdom, that are helping me grow - thank you.
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pema's words Ivan have helped me so much over the years, at times when I thought there was no more room for any growth. I am happy you find them helpful.

      Delete
  6. More simple words to reflect profoundly on! Thanks, Jim. But more than the words, my eyes were drawn to your lovely skies filled with fluffy cumulous clouds. Those I could reflect on endlessly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise. I remember having done the same thing many times....staring up at the clouds and feeling so tiny down here on earth.
      Thanks for dropping by and glad you paused and reflected.

      Delete
  7. With my fat arse..... I couldn't jump over a stick...let alone myself x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Practice my dear man, practice.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful sky to gaze at while contemplating those words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just look up and away we go!!!

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails