Saturday, January 19, 2013

Saturday Morning Post


Below you will see a great recent photo of Halifax city downtown.
Just below centre you will see the new skating oval that is a `hit` and packed every day.

Now if you look to the top tip of the peninsula as the water turns to the right, this is our
favourite park...Point Pleasant Park.

That little strip of water reaching to the right is the Northwest Arm.
To the left is Halifax Harbour, the second deepest harbour in the world!! Honest!
I guess the deepest deepest in the NYC Harbour.

To give you some perspective-direction, if you look straight ahead you are looking to the
south east.

Now look to the left up there (geez I sound like a sergeant). We live down that shore about 30 km.
That`s one long row!!! lol

One last lesson and you all have been very cooperative students today I must say,
Across Halifax city is the city of Dartmouth. My family moved there when I was in
grade 11. It is called the `bedroom city` of Halifax.

One more....the entire area of Halifax, Dartmouth, suburbs and beyond is now called
the Halifax Regional Municipality or HRM for short.

Any questions?


Photo taken from the internet.



21 comments:

  1. Please, can I ask a question?? Is that white area all snow, apart from the oval rink? Lovely tutorial.Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean. The white area is the Commons which is a recreational area in the centre of Halifax. It's been there since the inception of the city in 1749.
    My Dad spent most of his childhood there honing his baseball skills. It is a grassy area in summer and when it snows....presto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool - nice that you could point that all out to us!
    That's some recreational area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is Sharon. I remember as a kid going to the Duck Pond in which we kids could paddle around in little boats....I loved it!! Now it is a skateboard area and really well used. Halifax wouldn't be Halifax without it.

      Delete
  4. My Nephew is stationed in Halifax with the Canadian Navy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Forces are a huge employer here and have always had a presence. A very strategic setting for them in the past.

      Delete
  5. Great geography lesson this morning, Jim. That is the perfect image to work with. Perhaps one day I'll get to visit this beautiful area - and all of you - up close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a 'date' Martha! I take it for granted and it is always good to hear 'from aways' and how they see it. You'd love it.

      Delete
  6. i must come up there and visit some day. it looks so small and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is small Tony and has a little bit of just about everything.

      Delete
  7. Great geography lesson. I love all the common space in the center of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I did feel myself drift off into 'teacher mode' as I was doing this! Yes, the Commons are a treasure and we are very protective of it.

      Delete
  8. We have a question... What's that star-thing in the open space on the left??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is Citadel Hill, a British fortress with an actual moat around it. It is a Parks Canada Historic Site and has incredible views of the city and beyond in all directions. Google Citadel Hill, Halifax to see more detail, Lisa. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  9. Nope!! No question!! You were very thorough.
    And if you look to the east, far, far away, we could wave to each other!!!
    ;)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is right up my alley! I was a cartographer for USGS, and although I don't miss the daily grid, I do miss mapping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my brother went to uni in Halifax. I'll bet that photo would make him good and nostalgic. Poor me--I've only made it as far east as Shediac!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was great to see this shot, Jim, and thanks for the excellent orientation to the city. My niece Sara, who goes to Dalhousie, worked at the Citadel all last summer and in the fall on weekends. She loved the experience! How about The Narrows and the Halifax explosion? I guess you don't want to overwhelm your students! All this makes me a little homesick - but I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails