Monday, January 28, 2013

Contemplative Monday


The following quote is taken from: 'Heart Advice, Weekly Quotes from Pema Chodron'

THE SENSATION OF BLISS


"A few years ago I was overwhelmed by deep anxiety, a fundamental, 
intense anxiety with no storyline attached.


I felt very vulnerable, afraid and raw.


While I sat and breathed with it, relaxed into it, stayed with it,
the terror did not abate.


It was unrelenting even after many days, and I didn't know what to do.


I went to see my teacher, Dzigar Kongtrul, and he said, "Oh, I know that place."


That was reassuring. He told me about times in his life when he had been 
caught in the same way.


He said it had been an important part of his journey
and had been a great teacher for him.


Then he did something that shifted how I practice.
He asked me to describe what I was experiencing.


He asked me where I felt it. He asked me if it hurt physically
and if it were hot or cold.


He asked me to describe the quality of the sensation as precisely as I could.


This detailed exploration continued for a while and then he brightened up and said,
"Ani Pema...That's a high level of spiritual bliss."


I almost fell off my chair. I thought,"Wow, this is great!" 
And I couldn't wait to feel that intensity again.


And do you know what happened?


When I eagerly sat down to practice, of course, 
since the resistance was gone,
so was the anxiety."



23 comments:

  1. I believe we all have visited this "place," Jim. To learn from it is to grow and be stronger.

    Love your images matched with Pema's wise words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. Yes, I am sure that most of us 'have our days'. The key is, as you said, to learn from it and move forward a little more confidently.

      Delete
  2. I think we all get to that place at some point, sometimes more than once. It's another character-building lesson, something to help us grow. Beautiful images! Have a good Monday and a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Martha! You too have a great week.

      Sometimes being human can be difficult.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting story and insight! And lovely photos too, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra. I like it when Pema shares personal stories.....she's one of us!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Good day Pat! Thanks for dropping by and have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  5. I love coming to your beautiful pages thanks Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Kathy. And thank you.

      Delete
  6. So true, Jim. I love your Monday posts and look forward to them. This one contains such a good and powerful lesson. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Inger! Yes, I think most of us can identify with this lesson.

      Delete
  7. This is a wonderful post with great pictures!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina. I'm happy you liked it! Good to see you here!

      Delete
  8. Lovely pictures, I love the water. Each one, I try to look beyond. Silly, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not silly at all Sharon! I do that all the time when looking out into the ocean......it is immense! If you see France, let me know!! lol

      Delete
  9. How interesting to describe anxiety precisely and finally see it as bliss. A good teaching. Your photos of sparkling water are very serene, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb. It caught me off-guard as well to see anxiety as bliss. Could certainly change things for a lot of us!

      Delete
  10. What a paradox and healing thought - that intense emotions can be bliss.

    Gorgeous shimmering shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. I could be quite healing indeed.
      The ocean was just ablaze and intense with sunshine that day and I wanted to see if it could be 'captured'.

      Delete
  11. Yikes! The next time I reach crisis, I hope I remember this, and turn it around to a positive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the ocean photos and the words, Jim!
    Maybe I can channel this the next time I'm driving on the freeway down a steep, icy hill with a drop off on my right, and snow slamming into my windshield.
    Or maybe I'll just pull off the road at the bottom of the hill and remind myself I'm just feeling a high level of spiritual bliss! I've been trying to tame this beast for years!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails