Thursday, September 20, 2012

The 'Thing' In The Distance and A Road Less Traveled?


Now where was I? Oh yes, Sophie was staring at something when she turned the corner at the beach.


When we caught up with her we saw what it was.....looked like a vulture of sorts but as we got closer (and that was not close at all) we could see that it was an eagle, a juvenile one I believe.


It looked at us for a few seconds, and flew away.


Usually when we get to this point at the beach we turn around and head back the way we came.

Sophie loved this! The clay was the same colour as she.

On this morning we wanted to go around this part of the beach and walk back to the cottage


through the village. This is the road most people use to drive to the beach from this end.


And since there were torrential rains the day before, the condition of this road made sense


and we persisted. As I indicated in yesterday's post, this red clay/dirt is everywhere on PEI.


And when it gets wet, well, it becomes very slippery and like those mud-pies we made as kids.


This brought back so many childhood memories when 'the kids' would return covered in red mud!


My mother was a very patient woman and I am sure it brought back


childhood memories for her as well.


We managed quite well to get around these puddles and approached the little fishing village ahead.


We were the only ones here this morning and this is not at all unusual for this time of year.


But from the ruts in the road I could tell that there was some traffic here over the summer months.


These 'off-roads' are everywhere on PEI and are part  what to expect here.
I remember as a kid returning to our home in the city and in another province when the  
neighbourhood kids would all stand around the car and look at the red mud stuck to my Dad's car!

More from PEI tomorrow........I could stretch this for the next year!!! Kidding!



27 comments:

  1. That really is red, almost unreal! Quite beautiful!
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very unusual Ivan. But one gets used to it after a couple of days.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos, Jim. Love that clay colour. You are brave to walk through it! I've spotted many eagles this summer on our day trips, but never seen one on the ground. What a great sighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first one to see on the ground too, Martha. Usually they are soaring high above.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Alabama red clay all the way up on PEI (ha ha). Before our little road was paved it was all red clay and as you well know, splattered red goo all over the cars. One year the road flooded in front of our house and everyone at the other end had a heck of a time keeping their car on the road as the ruts got deeper and more slippery. We fully expected someone to lose control, crash through our fence and wind up in the pond! I know your shoes were full of the stuff after your walk but what's a little red clay when you're on vacation?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they call PEI 'Little Alabama'!! lol Not really..
      I am wondering if 'potters' (not potheads) use the clay for their work? I'll look that up.
      I can just imagine getting stuck in this! It is so slimy when wet!We had to hose Sophie down every day and were surprised at how much was on her.

      Delete
  4. Awesome that you got that juv. eagle!

    ?Thought that was TN red clay... Very wearing on your car to go over those bumps and ruts. It is pretty and you had a pretty day for pictures! Did Sophie need a bath on your return?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's everywhere! So it's in Alabama, Tennessee and PEI. Anywhere else?
      Yes, Sophie needed to have baths in the ocean to get it off....and she didn't mind one little bit! lol

      Delete
  5. Very cool capture of the juvenile eagle! My hubby caught a golden eagle on his game camera a few months ago. They are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vickie. I wasn't sure if this was a Bald Eagle or a Golden one. There are a good number of Bald Eagles here in the Maritimes.

      Delete
  6. AWESOME ruts! That's how roads used to be in my childhood too. Plus I love the red mud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez! How old are you Debra?! lol Kidding! Can't beat the red mud!

      Delete
  7. Hello Stranger! For a dozen reasons I've been missing your blog--Yesterday I was thinking of you, Ron and Sophie--It probably had to do with seeing a 'doodle whose beautiful eyes reminded me of Sophie. But I've loved catching up on your blog and seeing your photos of your trip! You could go on for a year with them, I wouldn't mind! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see...100 photos divided by......lol.
      Good to see you Kim! I know all about trying to get around to see everybody here in blogland.....sometimes there just isn't enough time.
      As you know Doodles have very distinctive eyes. Good to 'see' you Kim!

      Delete
  8. i am looking forward to seeing the village, and more pictures! thank you for sharing these, and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh OH! I hope I have a few photos of it!! I did take one of a rusty ole shed I remember....I know I left the impression that it was a quaint 'fishing village' where people live and gather......not in this case I'm afraid. Just a few fishing shacks and old summer/seasonal homes.
      More pics on the way, Sir!!

      Delete
  9. It looks so beautiful there - ruts and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Pat a very picturesque island.

      Delete
  10. Love the frame with Sophie in it, just sniffing around. Great landscape!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, she is a great sniffer! PEI has breathtaking landscapes.....you'd love it there M.Montreal Man!

      Delete
    2. In passing, perhaps, unless I bring some piece of concrete to caress and secure me in the knowledge HOME is out there...
      ;)~
      HUGZ

      Delete
  11. Lovely blog! Just started following you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Welcome aboard! Good to meet you.

      Delete
  12. What a thrill to see that eagle!
    I can't imagine driving that road, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a thrill, Terry! Don't often see them 'on the ground' here. I do believe it was as surprised as I was to see a human too on that day!
      I would drive that road in low gear or a 4-wheel drive.

      Delete
  13. My favourite picture was the last one, because the reds were so deep. But I also loved the picture of the baby eagle. What the hell? I have never seen an eagle in real life, let alone a baby one that's living in the wild! What a priviledge that must have been .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very surprising Annie to see it on the ground and not high in the sky.

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails