Monday, September 24, 2012

Contemplative Monday

THE DREAM OF CONSTANT OKAYNESS


"It's not impermanence per se, or even knowing we're going to die,


that is the cause of our suffering, the Buddha taught.


Rather, it's our resistance to the fundamental uncertainty of our situation. 


Our discomfort arises from all our efforts to put ground under our feet, to realize our dream 


of constant okayness. When we resist change,


it's called suffering. But when we can completely let go


and not struggle against it, when we can embrace the groundlessness


of our situation and relax into its dynamic quality, 


that's called enlightenment, or awakening to our true nature,


to our fundamental goodness.


Another word for that is freedom,


freedom from struggling against 


the fundamental ambiguity of being human."


On a personal note, I have always had difficulty grasping this


'human condition' of impermanence. My acceptance is getting better.


The above quote was taken from Pema Chodron's book: 
'Living Beautifully' which was referenced in her newsletter,
'Heart Advice: Weekly Quotes from Pema Chodron.



19 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Jim!

    Love the clouds! Clouds and life and worries and problems and good times and pains and being young etc. - you have depicted that so well. Nothing lasts, but it's not a bad thing.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez, you must have been up with the cows!!!
      I suppose being young has its drawbacks too. You are correct Sharon, it is not a bad thing that nothing lasts.

      Delete
  2. I like the word 'okayness'. The quote certainly made me stop and think.
    The cloud photos are really beautiful. I just got a little bit nervous when you took the ground out from under me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Sorry `bout that,Pat! It is a bit unnerving.

      Delete
  3. Well, if it was easy to understand, we'd all be Buddhists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something to strive for or... more appropriately... something to allow to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll allow it if you do, Mitch!! Deal!?

      Delete
  5. Lots of good things to think about with this post, Jim. And the photos are perfect for it. I like that things don't last forever, and that life recycles. It gives our species a chance to progress, evolve. Not a bad thing, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good way to look at things Martha. Yes, I liked using the clouds for this 'Pema quote'.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Extremely difficult Terry. You know, I was thinking that maybe this would become easier as we, human beings, evolve.

      Delete
  7. Or as Mickey Mouse may have said, "Who Moved My Cheese?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Letting go is so hard... yet so liberating... Beautiful thoughts and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really needed to read this as I too am caught in the "impermanence" and I falter daily on this. The photos of the clouds comforted me as I read your words and I thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails