Monday, June 4, 2012

Contemplative Monday

WHAT ARE WE PRACTICING?


"The painful thing is that when we buy into disapproval,


we are practicing disapproval.


When we buy into harshness,


we are practicing harshness.


The more we do it, the stronger these qualities become.


How sad it is that we become so expert at causing harm to ourselves and others.


The trick then is to practice gentleness and letting go.


We can learn to meet whatever arises with curiosity 


And not make it such a big deal."


The above quote was written by Pema Chodron and was taken from her 'Heart Advice: Weekly Quotes from Pema Chodron'.







12 comments:

  1. Very good food for thought and how true it is. very interesting photographs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanne. Pema is noted for 'dishing up' good food for thought!

      Delete
  2. Very thoughtful quotation. It took me a minute to figure out what the photos were of but once I did, I became fascinated with the play of light and shadow on the tubular chimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light bounces in all directions off the shiny surface.....plus these were moving as I was 'clicking'.

      Delete
  3. 'Morning Jim!

    Too early for me.

    Cool pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love chimes around here....they are going all day long till dusk.
      Now, WAKE UP!

      Delete
  4. "...learn to meet whatever arises with curiosity and not make it such a big deal."
    A good practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could save so much energy/anguish.

      Delete
  5. I think I may just imprint this one on my forehead (or maybe suspend it by a wire so it hangs in front of my eyes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! That could work, Mitch! Let me know. Cause I may need to do the same!

      Delete
  6. I didn't figure out what I was looking at until the second photo! Duh, me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need to chose to not surround ourselves with negativity.
    Walk away when someone throws it your way.
    Build up your friends and family and they will do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails