Thursday, August 26, 2010

For My Next 100 Posts.......

I'd like to post this, my 101st. blog, for my father....Jim Sr.

Yesterday we took Dad to lunch. We chose a place that I mentioned once before. It's called the Rose & Kettle Tearoom & Giftshop at the Cole Harbour Heritage Farm Museum......phew. The staff there are very kind to Dad. They love his wit and tolerate his sometimes 'cutting' responses.



The manager and head chef at the Tearoom is Linda.

               Linda and her daughter hard at work.

She will do her best to do whatever Dad asks of her. He will call up for tea-biscuits and she will always manage to put aside at least half a dozen for him. And all the times he has asked for take-out, (and they DON'T DO TAKE-OUT!), he gets it.



So today we thought we'd 'surprise attack' them.

We got there early before the lunch crowd. Got a table and ordered. You do not mess around when you have a hungry, sometimes grouchy older gentleman who likes his meals ON TIME.

             Ron and Dad (yes I know, Dad looks like the guy in the Six Flags commercial with those sun-glasses!!)

Ron and Dad ordered the Tearoom's famous Fishcakes and Baked Beans. I ordered the special of the day.....Chicken Pot Pie plus a salad.



Linda was very excited to see Dad and she personally served him and made sure everything was just right. Dad lapped it all up.




When it came to dessert we had Raspberry Cake with cream cheese frosting and Date Squares. They were great.



The Tearoom is like an English country cottage inside and out (or at least how I would imagine one to be). It is jam-packed with crafts from Nova Scotia.








By the time we left the place was packed, Dad was content, and Sophie was waiting patiently for us in the car.



Dad doesn't get out much and he appreciates when he does get the chance. He loves the attention he gets from the shops and restaurants in the area. And Linda and her staff certainly give him a lot.

A couple of hours later, after Dad was back home, Ron and I were at the local Thrift Shop/Sally Ann.

 While looking intently at something in the shop, I heard this 'Jim, Jim'. I turned and saw the mother of one of my ex-students. I almost called her Linda because she looked like Linda at the Tearoom. It was Lisa. 



We chatted and I introduced her to Ron. After a few moments of chatting Ron said to her that she looked just like Linda at the Tearoom. Lisa said she gets that all the time.....because Linda is her sister!!

I have known these two gals for a few years and I had no idea they were related. I know Nova Scotia is small......but this makes it really tiny.


              Kids' groups use this facility all summer long. It is a small working farm.

18 comments:

  1. what a neat place!!!
    The food sounds lovely, too.
    We have a similar restaurant in town, a tea room, but guess what they don't serve-hot tea!!! Here in the south they like their tea sweet and iced. But the food os very similar, and the cakes and desserts have the same homemade look, serves straight from the dish they were baked in.
    How special that you still have your dad and can do things like that for him and with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it over 100 posts! Looks like you all had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds lovely! What a great day for your dad.

    Mine likes nothing better than a car ride and a smoked meat sandwich!

    We will be heading out in October to Maine with my Dad for out annual ultimate roadtrip. It's always a lot of fun. I now realise that my dad and I are so much alike and we're just two big kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danke Schön, nein nicht by Julia, die Fotos hat meine Freundin geschossen : )

    dein header ist toll, würde am liebsten da ins meer rein springen, <3

    Liebe Grüße
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so wonderful and sweet that your Dad gets special treatment.
    It really is a small world isn't it?
    The pics of the food has made me hungry now. :)
    Hmmm, might have to just go into the kitchen and rummage something up to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love tea rooms like that! How great that your Dad can get out and about with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just lost my comment that I just wrote to you. I wanted to say that I am so happy for your dad that he has you to take him to such special and lovely places as Linda's. How cute that Lisa was her sister and you didn't know. If I lose this again, I'm on strike.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post. It means so much when people go out of their way to be nice to someone special to us. And how nice to see a picture of you -- you handsome devil!

    Love the new look of your blog, and congrats on #100 in the can. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's really nice for you guys to take your Dad out to eat! Seems like a special place, the food looks delicious! I could eat that myself!
    100 posts! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful little tea room this is - the food looks soooo yummy, too .... looks like your Dad had a wonderful day out, & was treated like a VIP !

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice that you have a lovely place like that to take your Dad. Looking at the food makes me hungry (I got busy and forgot lunch). Congrats on your 100th post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nicely said Jim
    I think if you lived nearer we would be good friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely. Yes it looks like an English cottage, except we have milk in tea!!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. 101 posts! That is brilliant! Oooh that food looks good, and I love the place, it looks just up my street. Gosh I do miss Nova Scotia, I will (I will, I will!) come back for a visit one day! I like the look of your Dad, and glad he had a good day out! Have a happy weekend Jim! Susie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I lived closer to my pop. And I've never had fish cakes, something else to add to the bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are very fortunate to have all these experiences. Your father looks like my kind of peeps. Lots of stories, laughs, and mischief in those sparkling eyes. Now I want biscuits! LOL

    Good Morning,
    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congraulation on 100 posts! Looks like a lovely place to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a lovely day out for all of you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails