Monday, August 23, 2010

Contemplative Monday



"What now remains, compared with what then existed, is like the skeleton of a sick man, all the fat and soft earth having wasted away......Mountains which now have nothing but food for bees......had trees not very long ago. [The land] was enriched by the yearly rains, which were not lost to it, as now, by flowing from the bare land into the sea; but the soil was deep, and therein received the water, and kept it in the loamy earth......feeding springs and streams running everywhere. Now only abandoned shrines remain to show where the springs once flowed."


This was written by Plato in his unfinished dialogue Critias in the year 400 B.C.




I got this quote from a book I am presently reading, A Short History of Progress by Ronald Wright.




The above quote is particularly appropriate, I feel, in light of the devastating floods in Pakistan. Will we humans ever learn from the past?



13 comments:

  1. It would seem, with each generation, they need to learn from their own mistakes, not the mistakes of those that have gone before, not interested in the written words or those told by the ones who have the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly wish that human beings would learn, but it doesn't seem to be happening! Hope you have a happy week. Love the photos and the book sounds good! Susie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful.....as always. I always feel peaceful when I visit you, thanks. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. what lovely photos, that last one is dreamy.
    And I love your new banner...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the quote -- "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it?" Well, we repeat all too many things. I hope we have time to change our ways, before we destroy everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful pictures, I haven't seen fields like that since Sweden. I'm shocked that was a quote by Plato. It is still so appropriate. So I guess the answer is no, we will not learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am catching up on your posts. My goodness you have been busy. The pics are fabulous. By the sounds of it I must agree with you about opening up a shop. Loved today's quote.
    As always your blog is full of serenity and peace. Not sure how you do it, but thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This world is ever evolving. That could have been written yesterday and still be true.
    Future generations may not see what we see, but they won't miss what they don't know either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe the only way we learn is by doing. (at least sucessfully. There is a quote I like:

    "How do you know learning has taken place? Simple if you see a change of behavior."

    Take care,
    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quotes all!

    My new banner is courtesy of hubby Ron. He loves doing that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great photos and quotes...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to agree with Sharon, in that new generations need to learn thier life lessons on thier own.

    Lovely words and images.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails