Friday, November 14, 2014

Going Dutch


Last Saturday evening Ron and I had a 'date'.
Well, not a real date like the old days, but we did go out......


......to the next community down the road which is Seaforth.
It is about 10 km from where we live.


It was dusk when we arrived and we managed to get a parking spot.
As you can see it is a tiny place....Seaforth Community Hall.
We were going to the annual 'Dutchman's Supper'.


The place was packed! But did it smell GOOD!
It was warm and cozy inside and a lot of chatter going on.


We did manage to share a table that had a couple of extra seats.
We had spotted some familiar faces and headed towards them.
We ordered right away and the plates were loaded with salted pork shoulder, sauerkraut,
potatoes, carrots, peas and freshly-made brown bread.
For dessert we had a choice of a number of freshly baked pies....we chose pumpkin.


Sophie, who was in the car waiting, would have FREAKED OUT!
This is Stephanie and her daughter Ellie!
They take care of Sophie every Friday at 'doggie day-care'.


Two tables down we spotted Mary from the doggie day care too! She is Stephanie's aunt.


It was dark by the time we left and we were stuffed!
Always good to go to and support community events.
Have you gone to one recently?




18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great night out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering what makes it a " Dutchman's" Supper as opposed to any other sort of supper. I have heard of " going dutch", (i.e. go out with someone and pay for yourself)..is it the same concept?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food on that plate looked delicious!
    I have never been to a restaurant where everyone eats at the same table, like that. I don't know if I like that concept or not. The only time I ate with a bunch of people was at weddings etc and I knew everyone, an then, of course, in grade school, which I don't think I was happy with.
    Now, I am ready to eat!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful date night. That food looks delicious! Have a super weekend, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to a real old-fashioned community "Fall Supper" for years! They were big in Manitoba when I was a girl and they always had the very BEST home-cooked food. Every once in a while, My Rare One and I will go to a community perogy supper here in Edmonton -- lots of good Ukrainian food to stick to your ribs. A few years ago, we had a roast beef supper put on by the church ladies at the Legion in Stettler, Alberta. My gawd, it was good. Melt in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are very popular in Nova Scotia....at least as long as 'that older generation' is around.
      I haven't have perogies since Elaine's father, Jim, made a batch many years ago! I loved them!!

      Delete
  6. Wow looks like you guys had a wonderful time, I'm drooling at the food....looks like you really had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nice and cozy on a cold night, Lorraine.

      Delete
  7. I see "BUMBLE BEE" in Mommy's arms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like a large portion of some very fine eatin's. Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We LOVES to eat in these here parts, Joanne!! lol

      Delete
  9. That's a fun date night! It's been a while since I was at a function like that. I miss that sense of community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we opened the shop we are meeting more people from the surrounding communities. It is good to experience that community feeling, Terry.
      I hope i get asked on a date again soon!! RON!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great time, Jim! And the food looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good chance to mingle with friendly people, Martha. Not too much though....as you know too much for an introvert is exhausting.

      Delete
  11. This is so Nova Scotian! Community dinners in halls where everyone comes together for a good meal, conversation, and friendship! Beautiful portrait of Stephanie and Ellie ~ wasn't Ellie dressed up as a bumble bee at Doggie Daycare? She was so cute. Have a good one, Jim!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails