Monday, August 13, 2012

Contemplative Monday


Usually on this Monday post I have a quote by Pema Chodron. Today however I'd like to 'introduce' you to someone I am sure you have seen or heard about in the news.
His name is His Holiness the Dalai Lama and yes I am sure he has a 'real' name too but that would be up to you to research if you wish.

RELIGIOUS DIVERSITY


"If we view the world's religions from the widest possible viewpoint



and examine their ultimate goal, we find that all of the major world religions,



whether Christianity or Islam, Hinduism or Buddhism, 



are dedicated to the achievement of permanent human happiness.



They are all dedicated toward that goal. All religions emphasize the fact



that the true follower must be honest and gentle, in other words,



that a truly religious person must always strive to be a better human being.



To this end, the different world religions teach different doctrines



which help transform the person. 



In this regard, all religions are the same, there is no conflict.



This is something we must emphasize. We must consider the question 



of religious diversity from this viewpoint. And when we do, we find no conflict."


Above quote taken from 'His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Quote of the Week'.





21 comments:

  1. While I think about the quote, I'm enjoying the lovely shadow patterns on the tree trunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was late in the afternoon at a park and the light was warm and soft....along with the colours of the tree.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. If only it was that simple.....actually it is! We humans messed this one up.

      Delete
  3. Is that a face on that tree? Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess the quote 'worked' for you, Bobbi! Now there will be 'line-ups' at this tree! lol

      Delete
  4. This is why I stand behind what the COEXIST organization is trying to do around the world.
    Daily I find myself working with a wealth of diversity and have found the statement above to be true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you would see a 'wealth of diversity' in your business....that would certainly support the quote!
      I'll look up Coexist...

      Delete
  5. Weird, but I see a face on that tree! Certainly puts emphasis on this post :)

    I agree that ultimately all religions make the same point, but sadly, people twist things around and bring hatred and violence into the picture. It's truly sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I REALLY see a face! It's like it has 'glasses' on!
      Oh we love to 'twist' things, don't we.

      Delete
  6. I agree! As the Dalai Lama says: My religion is kindness.

    He came to Stockholm this year and I was lucky enough to see him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been a wonderful experience, Fiona.

      Delete
  7. After reading the comments, I had to go back up and look at the pictures again, to see if I could find "the face." Well, it practically jumped out and kissed me in the last two!

    I wish more people felt the way the Dalai Lama does. Can you imagine what a wonderful world that would be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can imagine that Lisa! Hey, maybe one of these days....what do you think.

      Strange about that face.....I didn't see it when I took these.

      Delete
  8. Be NICE
    Be-HAVE

    How hard would that be? Evidently pretty hard...

    Shadows and clouds... wonderful aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I just bet teachers LOVED having you in their classes! HArd to 'tie you down'!
      Yes I really like shadows and clouds too.

      Delete
  9. I saw the face! and I'm staying clear of that tree and woods....scary wary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought YOU were the brave one!!

      Delete
  10. I'm with Sophie - that's a scary tree!

    I wish religion was all about gentle and honest. When you think about all the religious wars throughout history, it's pretty disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a bunch of wimps! lol
      Strange isn't it how religions have done this and continue to do so but in quiet ways.

      Delete
  11. I don't have much time for religion generally - I am totally sceptical after seeing some of the evil done in the name of religion. Except for that Delai Lama bloke; he really is something else. I think he eptiomises all that religion should be and I greatly admire him. Nice post Jim!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails