Saturday, March 19, 2011

Retro Saturday

The Blue Plate




On the way home yesterday from a hike in Point Pleasant Park in Halifax we stopped by a 'thrift' shop, sort of in the neighbourhood.




I went immediately to the dish/glass section and spotted this blue glass, dessert serving-plate. It was in pretty good condition with a small amount of wear along the gold gild trim.




I checked the price.....$5.00.....showed it to Ron and we both thought that it was a 'keeper'.




Now to try and figure out its age. At first I thought that it was at least from the sixties. But now I am thinking it could be earlier, maybe the forties.




I can't base this on anything other than from the 'wear' along the edge which tells me that it was used quite a bit........the paint/colouring used on these plates could withstand a lot of wear and tear.




I often wonder where the items, I buy at these places, come from, and who owned them. What were the circumstances that got them to this 'thrift' shop?


Obviously most, if not all, of the items come from estates in which families just want to get rid of everything and donate them, say, to the Salvation Army or another charity.  Also a lot of the items are 'dropped off' by individuals who are 'clearing out' their homes.....de-cluttering, so to speak!




In any case, I enjoy speculating about and appreciating the history behind these things. I am also a sucker for colour! And I feel this plate 'fits the bill'.



12 comments:

  1. OH WOW!!! That is a beauty of a find Jim...I'd have scooped that up as well...the gold designs are so pretty! and at first I thought you were showing the sky as it was so blue and pure...So what do you plan on doing with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy, good question! Add it to my 'collection' for the time being.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a stunning find Jim! I love the combination of dark blue and gold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know i don't often comment on your "retro saturday" as i tend to avoid clutter in my home, and these things seem to proliferate by themselves. but when i saw the thumbnail picture, i was drawn to it. this is a beautiful dish, and i'm also a sucker for everything blue. i actually have a candy dish in blue that would go nicely with this, though it has a medillon in each section showing a romantic scene, and surrounded by chinoiseries. i currently use it to leave my wallet, keys, loose change, etc. keeps everything tidy, all in one place.

    nice find!! well done!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am willing to bet it is older, perhaps 30's late 20's

    the shape and the motif drives the feeling

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! No room for it here, but I can admire from afar! Very elegant, a perfect party dish and then, of course, it's blue! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a spectacular plate and your photos of it are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The color is beautiful, but I like the shape too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i so love the color! it looks like some kind of serving plate, for maybe cheese and crackers etc... i'm sure you guys will find a good use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is beautiful, the colour is fab!
    great find.
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Color doesn't get much better than that and it matches the color of the ocean in your header photo.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  12. You scored!!!! I love it, Jim. You sure have good luck when you're out thrifting.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails