Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday Tidbits

A little bit of this, and a little bit of that today.




We are heading towards an election in Canada. The big day is May 2. The 'minority' Conservative government is seeking a 'full' mandate.....in other words they want a majority this time. We'll see.


For the past five years we have not had a majority government here in Canada. That would be OK if the parties involved could work things out and get things done! But they couldn't. All that happened was bi-partisan bickering, and not much was accomplished.






You see in Canada, we do not vote for the Prime Minister directly, like they do in the US. We vote for 'seats' in Parliament. Whichever Party gets the most 'seats' forms the government. And the leader of that Party becomes the Prime Minister.


Everything we do is political, I feel. That's OK. We can't escape that nowadays. I have never had a problem sharing my political views over the years. I am not one who keeps it a secret for fear of offending some one or some one might think lesser of me.




I have supported the New Democratic Party (NDP) for years. In Canada this party is probably equivalent to the Labour Party in the UK. There is no equivalent in the US........maybe the 'left' in the Democratic Party.


The NDP have never had a majority status in Federal politics here. Mind you here in Nova Scotia, my province, we elected a majority NDP government two years ago. Yeah!




The thing is that in this upcoming federal election if I vote for the NDP again and since they will in all likelihood not get a enough seats to form a government anyway, and because of the fact that I do not want the Conservatives to gain a majority, I will have to vote Liberal.


The last time I voted Liberal was for Pierre Elliot Trudeau back in the 70's.  He was a very dynamic leader and won three consecutive majority elections in a row!


Of course I could vote for the Green Party. They are trying very hard to get their first seat in Parliament. They have a battle ahead of them. This is not Europe!




Then of course there is the 'other' Party.....the Bloc Quebecois. This party is one that supports the separation of the province of Quebec from Canada. They have quite a few seats in the federal parliament but only 'run' in ridings in Quebec. That is a whole other story.


Still with me? I better switch it up....fast!


Ron and I have been 'looking after' Dad for the past month and a bit. We alternate days (Monday to Friday) and spend the mornings with him. The family was going to hire a stranger but he didn't want this. We were 'hired' instead.




It is working out very well. We take him to appointments, do a little 'light housekeeping', buy groceries and are there for 'company'. I am getting to know him so well now. Finally understanding 'what makes him tick' and appreciating him so much more now and all that he has done for his family.




Spring is so close to settling down here! Croci  are up and the Snowdrops have been here for over a week. We've been in the garden cleaning things up.....raking up leaves and twigs. We do not rake int he fall. We want the leaves to settle around the plants and protect them over winter. So our raking, and there is lots of it to do, is done now.


We have a family meeting coming up this weekend to plan Dad's 95th birthday party. My brother Fred from Calgary, Alberta will be here as well. Lot's to get done and relegated. But there are lots of us, so it won't be that difficult to get going. Not that we haven't done this before!



15 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Jim!
    I do not understand American politics, so I am completely lost on yours.

    Does your Dad have a "panic" button that alerts you to trouble, when you are not there? I'm glad you guys are there for him, I understand him wanting to stay in his own place.

    Have fun planning the B-day celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, yes he does have one of those. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've had to hold my nose and vote strategically a few times for the Liberals instead of the NDP too. In Manitoba I could vote NDP and they had a real chance at winning the seat. Here in Alberta -- hahahahahahaha! So it's the Liberals or nobody. And even electing Liberals is damn near impossible here. Good thing I live in "Redmonton" or it would be completely impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, I hope my comment came through. Having major computer issues these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know just enough about politics to keep me honest come election day - and I don't want to know one thing more. LOL>
    I can't wait to read about your dad's 95th birthday celebration! I'm so glad you're getting to know him better by spending this time with him. I always love the stories that the older people tell... Hey, how's he doing with his new hearing aids? I hope they are making a difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious opportunity to spend time with your dad! You will never regret this and in the future you will look back on it fondly. Savor every moment and it's sweetness will carry you through when you miss him the most! No political party needed to enjoy that!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. In America the Republicans all think that it's 1950 and the Democrats can't seem to agree on anything except that they disagree with the Republicans. So who knows what or who to vote for if you want to get anything done.

    I've been looking after both of my parents now for 6 years. It's been one of the most taxing jobs as well as the most rewarding. I've learned so much about why and how, many decisions were made over their lives. And realized that even though my childhood was rather frustrating, no one is to blame but myself. I understand that without everything that they did, I wouldn't be who I am. And I thank them all the time. Enjoy your time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 95! You Dad is going to be 95! How very cool is that! I can only imagine the stories/history he can share. I do hope you or someone has written down his stories so that they will not be forgotten in time.
    Ah, political views. As with you I do not worry about offending someone with mine just as I am not offended by someone else's. Geez, did than make any sense!
    To change what we do not like is to get involved and do something about it!
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my humble opinion our system is not working here. Its out dated and due for change. This two party system we have here which is basically what we have, as you said all they due is argue with each other and nothing is accomplished. There is no reason for us to have a party system at all. I feel it should just be run as you and your objective lets get the "politics" out of it. Lets get the ideas and ways to fix our problems in it! sigghhh I could go on and on, but I won't lol :O).

    WOW 95th birthday! Now there is a grand birthday! Happy Birthday to your Dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad your dad is doing well, and your family can get together for the birthday.
    You are ahead of us on Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. if i may...
    as a quebecker, i vote Bloc Quebecois. to see it merely as a separatist party is irrealist. the demographics would not favor a separation from the confederation and it will not improve as time goes by. we sort of missed the window of opportunity... i see it as a lobbyist group that will look after quebec's interests. before the Bloc came into existence, i used to vote NDP. not a popular choice here, unfortunately. never cared about the Liberals, and always had an innate distrust toward the Tories. so, i'm used to seeing my candidate win his circonscription, but lose the election... makes one rather cynical about the whole issue.

    95th!!
    looks good for you, as far as genetics go. if you have the proper lifestyle, chances are, you'll get old and eventually blow 95 candles of your own...
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how you mix in such beautiful photos into a clever little post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. TB, I see your point of view and agree. The PQ are definitely looking out for Quebec's interests......some one has to. in a meaningful way. Dad's parents both died in their 50's! It's a crap shoot, I'd say!

    Rick. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. to be quite frank, i feel the maritimes should get together and get something similar. i often felt you were forgotten in the big games of politics...

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails