Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's A Start


We have had a couple of really good days in which to get 'a start' on spring clean-up in the garden.




Ron has been trimming the Weeping Willow for the past couple of years. As you may know, these trees can get very big and ours was heading that way. So a few years ago Ron scalped it. The correct term is Coppicing . Instead of cutting back to ground level, Ron keeps the cut high.


                   Willow tree with ladder.......
It doesn't look like much here, but in the summer dozens of shoots will have grown out of where it was cut and create a globe fan-like effect.




For all you Weeping Willow fans out there, you may be asking how we could do such a thing! Well, as I said the tree was getting pretty big and blocking a lot of sun from getting to other plants. Instead of cutting the tree down we used this technique. Besides we have a regular one growing in another area......that is until Ron gets his hands on it. He loves to prune, you see.




So when I noticed all these 'whips' from the Willow on the ground I thought I could use them effectively for the deck.......until they dry out and lose their colour.




I snipped off as many as there were and put them in this container for now......till I need it.


I thought it would brighten up the winter greyness of the deck....and it did I think.




So if you have a tree that you want to 'play' with and wish it was smaller, you can try Coppicing. It will not hurt the tree.....just change it's appearance.


It's a start to a never-ending, but embraced, task of maintaining and keeping a garden.



19 comments:

  1. I need to get started, too. The liriope needs cutting back, so do the crepe myrtles. But that can wait another day...I'm going junkin' this Wednesday! LOL Save those cuttings from the willow. You can use them to decorate with this fall. Your garden is looking clean and ready. I'll work on mine tomorrow, LOL.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish Ron would come to my garden and prune- My fault is that I don`t trim things down hard enough! never that brave! the willow looks very effective in that pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you, all smart and all!
    It truly does look like a nice garden and I'm in love with that staircase. So cool!
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the whips in the pot. Do you think they will bud up?

    Beautiful bright colors in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see it after spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to see that willow in the summer. We always do our pruning and trimming when the sap is down, so nothing "bleeds". He did the vines in early February this year, and with the weather this year, I guess it was a good think. I had him trim them back severely, too many cordons coming where they didn't need to be. I hope this helps. Yep, springtime clean-up is a lot of work but well worth it. I like the jar with the cuttings, classy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm OK with the pruning, it's the never ending weeding that's beginning to get to me. I'm seriously considering moving all of the day lilies to one spot and letting the remainder of the gardens go back to grass.

    I like the idea of cutting that willow way back and will be anxious to see how it looks this summer. And, I will be curious to see if those cuttings green up also. I bet they would if you put a little water in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Upupaepops and Louise: Yes they would bud up if in water. Last spring the same willow was pruned and I had larger whips which I used for supports for the beans in barrels. Well, most of those 'rooted' in the soil and I had about 8 six-foot willows trees in the fall!!!! I think they's grow in concrete if they had to!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. how creative and beautiful the whips turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been working in my garden at my London house all week too. I absolutely LOVE gardening. I am going to take some 'before' and 'after' pics. Maybe you could do the same and we could compare!

    P.S. That willow whip display was inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea for the whips, the colour is just popping up against the grey of the deck! I've got to get started in my yard, I don't think I've ever waited so long but the rain has just been too much. Maybe I should invest in some rain gear eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you've made a good start to you spring gardening. I love the pot, the vibrant colour,with that beautiful blue sky and the greenery in the background, it looks wonderful. We've had a few good days here, but cold nights. Hopefully it won't be long until spring is really here!
    Hope you're all well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeap...we are all at the stage where there is too much to do and toolittle time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is very picturesque even before Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We need to get started too but we still have mounds of snow lingering.*Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great way to use those branches, they look great there. And your wheelbarrow is gorgeous, what a great color.

    I have something for you on my blog. Check it out.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there! Came over from Canyon Girl's place to say hello. And now I've got to stay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice ~ and I love weeping willows!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. they make woven living fences in england, weaving prunings from some plant I cannot remember the name of ( I am hopless in domestic garden issues).

    I think it would make and interesting project Like a woven whip and bamboo sunscreen?

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails