Saturday, March 12, 2011

Retro Saturday

It has been a while since I've gone 'thrifting'. But on Tuesday past I was in the neighbourhood of one such shop and went in to check things out.


I found four items that I thought I just couldn't live without....I know, a sure sign! But admitting it is the first step! lol




The first one is this very 60's juice glass. I like the colours and the geometric designs. It was so filthy I thought at first it had been 'dishwashered'-to-death because it was cloudy looking. After some soap and water.......




This second glass, below, is larger than the first.......tumbler size, I'd say. I am pretty sure it is 50's and of the 'banded' variety. I just haven't seen one in these colours before.




Staying with glass, take a look at these. Of course, the blue caught my eye immediately. These too were pretty grubby but in very good shape with the exception of one of the 'glasses'.....it was very cracked and no good at all. The other four were perfect. 




This looks like a decanter set and I'll say for sherry. It probably came with a 'stopper' on top but that was missing in action.




It was made in Italy and was 'hand painted' which is obvious when one looks at it.......very fine brush strokes.




Just a note.......I have been experimenting with my camera. I am using 'manual' mode so I can 'get back into'using this. A few years back my old Nikon was totally manual and that's all I used. I want to have more control over the end product and the only way to do so is to use a manual mode.


I came pretty close to putting it in 'auto' mode because I couldn't get a clear picture of this next object.




This cute little character/yellow tomato/apple was made in Japan and it's intended purpose may have been to hold toothpicks or the like. I liked the colours.




It was good to get back in 'thrifting' this week. Maybe I'll do it once a month from now on.....

11 comments:

  1. oh my...now you got me started again!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE thrift store finds and all the 50-60's glassware. Seriously...you should see a cabinet that I have out in my garage. My children are already talked at length about how they are going to auction. I fooled them though and put a claus in my will!! HA! Darn Kids!! They will remember me alright! Kidding aside though, I do have a hard time passing up the geometric designs and the fads of glassware of all kinds. I've been at homes that are well beyond me in collections so I still think I can rein myself in, but I never ever pass up a deal. I just love glassware and beverage glasses and always have some special drink with it to welcome it to my home. Your glassware is beautiful and I would be especially excited about those little cordials. Gorgeous glass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me with the blue set, such a shame that the stopper is awol, it was probably lost rather than broken. That is such a gorgeous set! It just screams "Use me with flair!" Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,
    Now you have me itching to go once again...I need to search out some new thrift stores in our area just for a change of pace. It sounds like a fun thing to do today!
    I love the first glass with the red and gray swirls; looks lik a great Ohio State glass to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What am I going to do with you?
    Would you be interested in four boxes of broken toys?
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that blue is stunning but it's the green one I like. That little toothpick holder is very cheeky !

    ReplyDelete
  6. INCANTEVOLISSIMO.......(enchanting)....soo classic and though very elegant your glasses!!!!!

    The beautiful "SHERRY SET" is gorgeous....perfect in manual mode, great photo, Jim!!!!!!
    How about filling this marvellous blue bottle with some fine Vino Santo..., and a few Cantuccini ( hard tuscan almond cookies) to dip in the little delicate glasses........!!!!!!!

    have a beautiful weekend, Jim!!!
    ciao ciao elvira

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Mad Men" glasswear. I can see those on the drinks tray

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just realized that I missed your post of last Saturday. I just love them so much and that's the first one I've missed. Oh, well, the blue sherry set is gorgeous. It's funny, being on the same page, I watched some movie the other night where they had sherry and it occurred to me then that it has been years and years since I last had some. --Just a thought.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  9. that blue is so yummy! Great finds, reminds me that I haven't been thrifting in awhile...hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're lucky to find so many groovy dishes while thrifting. I'm in love with that first set!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails