Monday, September 27, 2010

Contemplative Monday

I've been thinking about labyrinths lately thanks to a fellow blogger, Debra, at She Who Seeks. Take a look here http://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-first-labyrinth-walk.html.

I am beginning to realize that a walk in a labyrinth is very similar to a 'walking meditation' or at least it could be if that is what you would want to get from one.


I have done a number of 'walking' meditations but not through a labyrinth. I have begun a search to see if there are any in our province or neighbouring provinces. I think it would be an interesting experience .


In the same vein, I have been learning about Mandalas.



Susanne F. Fincher, the author of the above book, says:" Drawing the traditional circular designs known as mandalas is a meditative practice. a healing exercise in times of crisies, and a pleasurable act of creativity. As a symbol of the Self, the mandala provides a connection to our innermost being."


I have done a few over the past couple of months and find the experience much like I'm sure we all felt when we were kids colouring in a colouring book.......very relaxing and focused on the task at hand. Each one has a 'guided' purpose.
















I'm in the process of 'colouring' a labyrinth right now. The process is very simple, nothing 'deep' but very restful.




The author says that this Labyrinth provides "a moment of engagement, of  quickening, of seeing through to a new reality. What appears to be a single endless meander is really two separate pathways crossing many times but never completely joining one another."




There are labyrinths out there and it is my plan to find a few and experience them. 







Related Posts with Thumbnails