Monday, September 27, 2010

Contemplative Monday

I've been thinking about labyrinths lately thanks to a fellow blogger, Debra, at She Who Seeks. Take a look here http://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-first-labyrinth-walk.html.

I am beginning to realize that a walk in a labyrinth is very similar to a 'walking meditation' or at least it could be if that is what you would want to get from one.


I have done a number of 'walking' meditations but not through a labyrinth. I have begun a search to see if there are any in our province or neighbouring provinces. I think it would be an interesting experience .


In the same vein, I have been learning about Mandalas.



Susanne F. Fincher, the author of the above book, says:" Drawing the traditional circular designs known as mandalas is a meditative practice. a healing exercise in times of crisies, and a pleasurable act of creativity. As a symbol of the Self, the mandala provides a connection to our innermost being."


I have done a few over the past couple of months and find the experience much like I'm sure we all felt when we were kids colouring in a colouring book.......very relaxing and focused on the task at hand. Each one has a 'guided' purpose.
















I'm in the process of 'colouring' a labyrinth right now. The process is very simple, nothing 'deep' but very restful.




The author says that this Labyrinth provides "a moment of engagement, of  quickening, of seeing through to a new reality. What appears to be a single endless meander is really two separate pathways crossing many times but never completely joining one another."




There are labyrinths out there and it is my plan to find a few and experience them. 







10 comments:

  1. I sometimes do a mindful meditation, and rarely I do the old sitting sown type! I went to a budhist retreat a few years ago, and really love the philosophy, and have lots of books on meditation, etc., but I must explore labyrinths! Susie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mandalas. Very relaxing I would imagine, but fun, too because one gets to explore many colors, which can change the design somewhat. I have heard of labryrinths, but never walked one. I would suppose meditation can take many forms. Creating is meditative for me, as well as walking, and always prayer. Whatever the form, one is certainly renewed afterwards and that is the desired result, or at least the result for me. If you find a labyrinth, I just know you will photograph it and write about your experience. Can't wait to read it! Have a good week, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out to my blog! There's something so inherently spiritual about circles, isn't there? Whether they're labyrinths, mandalas, spirals or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have drawn, what I call "brains", very relaxing and look similar to a doodle of a yarn ball. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. somebody told me once "If you really want to give a child a gift, give them a blank sketch pad, not a coloring book full of lines that they must stay inside of."

    (Not that your post and my brain fart have anything at all in common... but, like most of your posts, it got me to thinking!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love an excuse to do some colouring with my grandchildren, it's very theraputic! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those mandalas are so inviting. They seem like natural accompaniments to meditation and insight. And the photo banner is beautiful! I can feel the fresh air, just from looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is peaceful just to look at your work. I have always though of a labyrinths as something to escape. This is an entirely new way of looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this post - I had never heard of Mandalas before & they sound fascinating. I'm going to read up on them now. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails