Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Basics



Have you ever had something to eat when you were out and it just didn't do anything for you?


Well, this happened last week in PEI when Ron and I were looking for a quick lunch.




Before we headed across the Confederation Bridge, which links Prince Edward Island to the mainland of the province of New Brunswick, (little geography lesson there) we wanted something to tide us over till we got home.


There wasn't much from which to choose. We settled on a place called, I think, The Lobster Shed. Most of the choices were deep fried seafood selections except for the very popular 'lobster roll'.


We both ordered it. It came in no time. It was full of lobster and some little pieces of iceberg lettuce. It had no taste whatsoever! There was some mayo on it but it was flavourless too. I don't know about you guys, but I love to eat food that has flavour and a little zest, not 'hot', but some flavour.


This brings me to today's blog post. Ron's mother, Tommy, used to make her own mayonnaise. She used a recipe that was handed down to her from her Mom, Jessie.


Whatever she served always had a lot of flavour. And whenever she used some of 'her' mayo, it would make it 'pop' with flavour.


Enough said. You've got to try this out yourselves. It takes about 15 minutes to make. Here's the recipe:


MAYONNAISE
Mix the following together in a double boiler:
1/2 cup white sugar
1 heaping tsp. salt
1 tbsp. dry mustard
2 1/2 tbsp. flour (heaping)


Add: 
1 1/2 cups milk (I've used soy, Almond Breeze drink and it worked well)
1/2 cup white vinegar


Then:
Using an egg beater, mix everything in the double boiler.


Add:
2 eggs
4 tbsp. butter


Cook 15-20 minutes.


You will be amazed at the difference it will make. You may just never buy mayo again!













14 comments:

  1. I don't eat enough mayo to make it worthwhile. Any of that stuff just keeps on coming back.

    Yes, have had flavorless food, leaves you feeling like it was a waste of time and money....

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks easy enough for even me to do! How long does it last in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of Sophie's head in the starfish. She's got to be the cutest dog in this world. I saw on another blog that they listed the 100 best dog blogs. I have to go back and check it, but I really think Sophie's should be in there. Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with Sophie, but you know how it is when you fall in love....Inger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe,thanks for sharing! I am always looking for recipes to "make my own" !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd guess that the lobster meat had been in the deeep freeze and defrosted to make the rolls - crustaceans always lose their flavour when 'defrosted for your convenience'! Shame! Its a real loser for all, the customers experience is that they won't come back and the restaurant (and the area) gets a bad rep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is a double boiler? I'm going to try this! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah Ok! A bain-marie! Thanks for that.....it should have been obvious!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow-how DIFFERENT than my homemade mayo recipe! I can't, can't wait to try it.
    Thanks for sharing!
    I am sure hubby will VOLUNTEER to wash the dishes, if it tastes as good as you say it does:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have been wanting to make my own mayo for years, as well as my own ketchup--but ketchup is more time consuming! i will try this recipe. we forget that so many things we buy were things we used to make: mayo, dressings, sauces, pesto. and the reason i rarely go out to eat is because i can't stand paying for food that i could make ten times better. too bad they didn't have a bottle of ketchup on the table for your "lobster" roll!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike's been talking about making homemade mayo. I'll have to give him this recipe.
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck you guys! Hope you enjoy it.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never been a mayo fan : (
    Love the pictures in the post. Wow. So gorgeous. Thank you for your lovely comment to Sue on her interview. I enjoy her artistry so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does sound great! But I don't use mayo a lot either.. How long does it keep in the fridge? I somewhat agree with Ingrid.. Sophie is 'one' of the cutest dogs in the world. I have to say that- (Gracie's watching)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails