Monday, September 13, 2010

Contemplative Monday



I just got the book from which today's quote is taken. It was recommended by a fellow blogger. It is called: Out Of Our Heads : Why You Are Not Your Brain, And Other Lessons from the Biology of Consciousness by Alva Noe.






You're right, it sounds pretty heavy! I have a feeling that it is a very 'technical' book. It'll probably take me the winter to get through it. But a few lines in the preface have already intrigued me to read on :


"We should look for it (consciousness) where it is. Consciousness is not something that happens inside us. It is something we do or make. Better: it is something we achieve. Consciousness is more like dancing than it is digestion."











8 comments:

  1. A little deep for me this morning, but the pictures are fabulous!!!

    Good Morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back at you Sharon! How are you feeling?
    These pics were taken last week in PEI as we were driving through the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures. I agree with Sharon, a bit heavy for me. I used to read all those things when I was younger, now I don't think I can anymore. Let us know what you think though once you're finished with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed a heavy. Keep us posted on your progress - throughout the winter.

    Beautiful pictures...so lush...so green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the coloring in these shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it's a good line of reasoning. If you see consciousness as the art of exploring your own humanity, and the understanding of who and what you are, and what your place in the world is.

    In that sense, I see the comparison. You have to work at dancing, to perfect your art. You also have to work, to expand your consciousness. You don't have to work at digestion, it just happens, and, hopefully, doesn't result in too many gas bubbles along the way.

    The pictures are beautiful, with that golden light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! And that's the kind of book I would pick up to read. Sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog.
    I love your images and thoughtful writing here. That mayonnaise recipe sounds like a real heirloom, and worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails