Monday, September 20, 2010

Contemplative Monday



I'm looking through a book of poems to find something contemplative and yet reflective for today.




This book, Nights On Prospect Street, by Heather Pyrcz (pronounced Perch) was published in 1999 in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. My husband, Ron, grew up in this town and on this street.




Heather Pyrcz lived across the street from Ron's mother. They were friends. After Ron's Mom died in 1998, Heather included a poem she wrote for Tommy (Ron's Mom) in her book.


Wolfville is a 'university town'. There is an influx of students every fall which certainly 'wakes up' this otherwise sleepy little town.




The poem is called Prelude on Prospect Street, in memory of Tommy Troke and here is part of it.


"......We've seen the students come and go
like Fundy tides----quick and high and utterly
predictable: in they come as green
as grass and young as spring and out
they go sobered by the weight of growing
old they hold behind their eyes......


"What have I known on Prospect Street? A friend
till yesterday when the black hearse pulled up to
Tommy's curb. A grey March day. Drizzling rain.
And in that moment, all I ever know of birth
and death and how the one engenders all the rest.
And love. All I'll ever know of love. How love
is all there is between the poles."









22 comments:

  1. How beautiful and yet sad. Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me think about my mother, who I miss so much. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading it. So true and it held such feeling. Susie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful - on the flip side a friend ( who later became Jess's Godmother ) wrote a poem the night Jess was born which was so touching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...how love is all there is between the poles...

    How beautiful and true. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very touching... "love is all there is between the poles" is such truth... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful blog you have.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and giving me the chance to explore yours! I look forward to reading more.
    S-

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could feel the sorrow in the words....

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a practicing State Registered Nurse I often resorted to 'Reflective Practice' as a means towards improving myself and my nursing care. A good recommendation for further reading is Transforming nursing through reflective practice By Christopher Johns and Dawn Freshwater. The techniques and advice on contemplation and reflection, contained therein, are very valubale tools.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, as are the photographs. It's wonderful that Ron's mother inspired this poem. She must have been very special.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This touched my heart! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jim, Yes! in regard to the book - its an excellent 'self-development tool'. I've personally met Professor Dawn Freshwater who currently holds a professorial position within IHCS at Bournemouth University in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photos. I can almost hear the sound of the breaking waves. Love how the poem flows.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i hear that igor paid your area a lil visit... hope all is well up dere! lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Igor hardly affected us.....a little wind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful poem and so true. The photos are stunning! I just keep looking and looking at them. Great stuff, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice sunset a pleasure to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love is a renewable resource. The more you give, the more you get. It's always nice when someone appreciates aloved one as you did or do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jim,

    This is a really beautiful photo, and I am writing to see if you would do me the honour of letting me use it on an Order of Service that we are printing to give out at our service on 18th March. My name is Gill Cronin and I am the Head of Fundraising for St Peter & St James Hospice, based in North Chailey, East Sussex, England. We are holding a service for people to remember their loved and lost ones, and when I saw this picture I felt it was just perfect. On your site it says that I must request permission to use the image from your so please may I do that? My email address is gill.cronin@stpeter-stjames.org.uk As you can see I am very short on time and would be really grateful if you could find the time to respond to me as quickly as you can.

    Gill Cronin
    Head of Fundraising
    St Peter & St James Hospice
    01444 471598

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails