Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter



I was at my Dad's the other day and he said to me , "Did you know that it is Holy Week this coming week?" At first it didn't click-in but I realized what he was talking about .......... this week is a very important week for Roman Catholics around the world. It's a time to recall the Passion of Christ and the days leading up to his crucifixion and resurrection.

All of this is so foreign to me now. As seen in previous posts, I no longer follow that path. But I could tell by my father's eyes that he takes this time of year very seriously. I remember when I used too.......lots of ceremony, prayers, processions in church. I really got off on it all once. How could you not? It stirs up a lot of emotions and makes one feel very calm.

I asked my Dad if he planned to attend any of the services this week. He said that it was too difficult for him to get into the church with his 'walker' and that he couldn't drive there. WOW! This was the first time that he had ever admitted, to me anyway, that he couldn't drive a car. It must have been very hard for him to admit it to himself, let alone the family.

It was a real concern for us (the family) that he continued to drive periodically. He could cause injury not only to himself but also to others. So this was huge for him to stop driving. I told him that I would take him to church any time he wanted and make sure that he got in safely. He kind of looked up at me and indicated that he didn't want to 'bother' me with it.

I know how important this time of year is to Christians, especially Catholics. My husband's mother used to say (and she was not Catholic) when Easter was rolling around, that this is the most celebrated time of year for them.

I remember my Mom would always make dozens of her 'Easter Cupcakes'.........filled with lemon and decorated with tiny easter eggs in a bed of coconut. M-M-M-M. She and my Dad would deliver them to all the 'sibs' when we were on our own.....every year.

So, today I will encourage my father again to think about going to one or more of the services at his church........and I will take him.

Related Posts with Thumbnails