Monday, June 1, 2015

Contemplative Monday



The following quote is from 'The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh' (click to learn more)
and is published by 'Shambhala Pocket Classics'.

ART


"One day in New York City I met a Buddhist scholar
and I told her about my practice of mindfulness in the vegetable garden.


I enjoy growing lettuce, tomatoes, and other vegetables
 and I like to spend time gardening every day.
She said, "You shouldn't spend your time growing vegetables.
You should spend your time writing poems.
Your poems are so beautiful.
Everyone can grow lettuce, but no everyone can write poems like you do."


I told her, "If I don't grow lettuce, I can't write poems."  "






6 comments:

  1. That's a lot of food for thought, Jim! Good one. Happy June to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blossom, Jim.
    Yes, growing lettuce and fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely Jim, both the blooms and the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quote by TNH is profound. It may be my favorite yet. It's very much in tune with last week's and the importance of respecting all species and in doing so finding our noblest natures. As gorgeous as your star magnolia blossoms are, I really like that corkscrew larch. I was worried about Ron. Something felt off, starting with he wasn't posting as much. I was sorry to learn that you both have been battling the cold from hell, but it was the emergency room trip that shook me. I am so relieved that it was not a heart attack. I enjoyed your early Jim Croce look! And that Ron, he was always so darn cute! I've been loving yours and Ron's photos of SD romping joyfully in the water. And that garden of yours ~ It takes decades to create such beauty. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails