Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Lost Art?


I picked up this handmade 'knotted-patch' quilt on Monday.
It will find its way to the shop today.


I always wanted to try and make one of these.
Years ago, when we lived in the valley, on a mountain...ok, a high hill,
we don't have real mountains in Nova Scotia, at least on the mainland,
I used to watch the farm family across the road in their living room
set up a giant frame for quilting, and go about hand sewing the entire quilt.


It was a social gathering of sorts for the ladies to meet once a week to talk and sew.
I ended up buying one the quilts for my brother, Dennis', wedding.


I know now one could do these in sections
 and assemble together after all sections were done.


As you may know there are quilt museums filled with wonderful examples
of different patterns/styles.


This particular one here is precisely what it looks like....made up of hundreds of patches
taken from different multi-coloured fabrics and each patch is knotted in the centre.


I was immediately drawn to this one because of the bright colours and that it was hand done.


This is the back of the quilt as it was hanging on the clothesline Monday evening
as the sun was going down.
The back is made from one sheet of fabric that is printed in squares.
I had to look closely at first and realized these were not individual squares on this side.

Have you ever made a quilt?
If so, tell us about the one(s) you made.

If not, would you like to?


15 comments:

  1. It's a work of art and very beautiful. I would imagine that you will sell it very quickly but the challenge will be how to display it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is precisely what I have been trying to figure out, Craig. How the heck to hang it! I will probably fold it and place it over a chair. It would be great if I had a couple of extra bare walls, eh? But they are filled.

      Delete
  2. How can you sell this? What a story behind every square, and does it remind you of the one you bought for Dennis? I will try and find some photos of the quilts I have "Finished"!!! This is bright, beautiful, and belonging.. I know anyone who gets this to put on their bed or couch will be so happy. warmth, comfort, and a square for every day and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Jean, that is the nature of having a business and besides we don't have the need or the space for a large quilt right now.
      Dennis' quilt was quite different.....geometric panels of red, white and blue.....quite bold.
      I look forward to seeing your 'masterpieces'!!! It must be very therapeutic to make one of these by hand or machine.
      I like your vision and wisdom, Jean, about life in general.

      Delete
  3. I wrote a long comment and it went away I'm useless with my hands unless it's to write people's resume or just write and take photos i'm useless at everything else, I tried to knit once, just a scarf ended up looking like half a skirt, useless ...I tell you

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you have some kind of board you could place it on either on top or if it's a opened whatever you can put it on so both sides are seen or heck just put it on chairs, as long as nothing pierces it, it will be fine I don't know If I'm making any sense, lol so lovely though,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilts are beautiful works of art. I am always amazed by people who make them. These are quite lovely and I bet they'll do very well in your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would love to know how to quilt. i love them and have a quilt collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Rare One and I were just at a Quilt Festival on the weekend, looking at all the amazing work people do. Neither of us quilt. We're just looky-loos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love quilts! Yes, I have made quite a few. Some for my kids, some for hanging on the wall (gifts), oddly enough, I don't have any I made for myself. I do, however, have one the ladies at church made for me, and one from my mother-in-law. I believe quilts are made to be shared. I love this all squares one, especially with the sunlight going though it. Are you sure you want to sell this one, Jim? It would be so comfortable and cheerful, wrapping yourself up in that on a cold, sniffly, January day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful quilt. My grandmother made many lovely quilts. I loved it when she'd take them out of the cedar chest and unfold them on the bed to show them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lust after this quilt, but hey who am I ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grew up in Lancaster County, PA, and quilts were an art form sewed by the women and girls of the Amish and Mennonite religious sects. I've always admired the creativity and fine hand work that goes into making these quilts. However, I would never attempt a quilting project because I barely have enough sewing talent to mend a loose button. "Your" quilt (perhaps you and Ron should keep it), is so vibrant. I love the light and shadows playing on it in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great colors, my grandmother on my mother's side was a quilter in her younger days, I have one of hers tucked away someplace in the other house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sew quilts in my little island on the Atlantic and I find a very bright quilt so I wanted to tell you! Your pictures are beautiful! If you want to find my blog it is called : Embruns et petits points ! Amitié de la France .

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails