Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Trelawnyd Flower Show


In early July I got a request from a blogger friend, John Gray, 
to enter a photo or two into the 'Trelawnyd Flower Show'.

Trelawnyd is a small village in the north of Wales and every year
they have this 'festival'. John lives in the village and is one of the
organizers of this event.

So I went through a bunch of photos and sent a few 'across the pond'.
I entered a couple into the 'flower' category and a couple in the 'winter' category.

And low and behold, I got an email from John saying that I got
1st place in the 'winter' group!

I was very surprised to say the least and happy at the same time.
This was the first time I have ever 'won' for a photo of mine.

Thank you to John to giving me a nudge in the first place.
And speaking of John, if you don't already 'follow' John
on blogger, you don't know what you are missing!
Seriously, his blog, 'Going Gently', is the most sincere, funny,
smart, articulate (except for the spelling at times!), knowledgeable,
chicken-friendly, dog-friendly, cat-friendly place that you will ever see!!

You HAVE to meet this character! Your life will not be the same.
Click on the name below to get started, tell him Jim sent you:


This is the photo that I entered.
It was taken last winter in the morning from high up
on a hill in the community of Seaforth which is along
the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia.

Actually we had just dropped off Sophie at 'doggie daycare' 
and were heading back down the hill
when I saw this 'shot' ........dark storm clouds in the west
and the sun glowing on the community houses below.





32 comments:

  1. You have described John's blog perfectly. I have been reading him for ages…in fact I probably found your blog via John's! I have hopes to meet him one day…..watch out John! Your photo is beautiful btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I think most of his followers (sounds a little cultish) would love to meet him!

      Delete
  2. this is a fabulous photo. no wonder it won! i love john's blog. he is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce.
      I couldn't agree more.....John's blog is wonderful!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous photo. Kudos to you (and to John for encouraging you to submit)! As for John Gray and Going Gently, your description could not be better. He and his blog are a revelation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitch.
      John has suggested to me in the past a couple of directions in which to take my blog. I appreciated his advice and he has helped me to be more relaxed when relating personal things on a post. He is the Master of this medium.

      Delete
  4. As a lover of all things winter, I really love this photo Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Keith! Got lots of room up here in Canada.....

      Delete
  5. I can see why you won. Just beautiful. m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photo!! Congratulations!! I also really enjoy John's blog. Gives me a good chuckle every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. John usually gets us all to laugh!

      Delete
  7. Congrats, Jim! Who better to win a contest in the "winter" category than a Canadian, eh? Now you can rightfully say you are an internationally acclaimed photographer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that, Debra!! Has a certain 'ring' to it, don't you think? lol
      Yes, we Canadians know our winters alright!

      Delete
  8. I can see why it won, Jim - it does look like winter, great shot!
    (Of course, I always thought your photos were all winners)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sharon, you are a woman after my own heart!! lol

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on winning Jim! I am not shocked that you won 1st place, because all of your photos are fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hayley-Eszti. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  10. That is fabulous, Jim! Congratulations to you. I'm not surprised. You certainly deserve to win. It is a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from you, Martha, that is a great compliment. Thanks.

      Delete
  11. I will be posting your certificate later this week!
    The judge was ticked pink that a Canadian IN CANADA had won!
    You were against 30 photographs!
    So well do be jimbo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say well done
      By the way
      You nearly won the " my garden" photo, but the winner showed ALL OF the garden, not just a flower!

      Delete
    2. 'So well do be....' I thought that was a Welsh expression!! Ya just never know!
      Imagine, a Canadian in Canada! lol We know our winters!

      Delete
    3. John, 30 other photographs? I was afraid to ask.....thinking I was the only entry!! lol

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! Your photo deserved the win. It's beautiful. I love John. It was a happy day when I found John.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, you are too kind! Thanks. I know, meeting John was a happy day for me too!

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! It's a beautiful photo, Jim. It would make a lovely Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great idea, Pat! Thanks for this, I will start looking into my options soon.

      Delete
  14. Jim, of course you won! You are the BEST photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect - definitely a winner! I must visit John now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. congratulations. Yes, John is a wonderful character.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails