Monday, August 29, 2011

Contemplative Monday



Last Monday a Canadian politician died after a courageous battle with cancer. His name was Jack Layton and he was 61 years old.

Jack, everyone called him that, was the leader of the official opposition in Parliament. He and his party, the New Democratic Party, had just won that title back in May. This was the first time in Canadian history that a social democratic party won so many seats in government, let alone become the official opposition!


I guess this would be much the same as the status of the present Republican Party in the US....not enough 'seats' to govern but enough to have to be listened to.


The funeral was on Saturday and it was a State Funeral telecast live on the networks here in Canada. It was very moving and heart-breaking to watch....even if you didn't support his views.


I have supported this party for 30 years and was thrilled when they had such a strong 'showing' this past election. I, along with millions of other Canadians, have been shocked and saddened by his death.


During the funeral ceremony the Assembly of  First Nations National Chief, Shawn Atleo performed an aboriginal blessing. It kind of snapped me out of sadness of it all and brought me back to 'basics' of why we are here in the first place.


It was truly a time of reflection and contemplation of a very humble and compassionate human being.





14 comments:

  1. I caught part of the procession on CBC. Nice hearse! One day I'm going to make the pall bearers carry the casket on their shoulders like that.

    I did not seen this portion. I like the way he spoke directly to Jack's spirit, instead of talking about him like he wasn't there.

    We've lost a good man. But know that his work will not soon be forgotten. It's the support of people like yourself that will carry it into the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 61 years old.
    Oh, that hurts to read.
    I will pray for his family today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always sad to hear of someone passing, especially from such a horrible disease. One so relatively young and with such passion - very sad, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We watched the funeral on CBC. Very moving and well done. The Grand Chief's blessing was a highlight for us too, as well as the beautiful eulogies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was just incredibly moving. The last time our country got emotional over a politician's passing was on November 22, 1963 when we lost another great man named Jack. Feeling very mortal right now, as well--I'm also 61.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like so many self focused Americans, I didn't know about this man. But, when I read of his death, and saw the grief that many of my Canadian friends expressed on facebook, I did some studying about him. He was a man for the ages in your country. I hope that his memory lives forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saddened to hear of a great man's passing...Hope who ever follows in his footsteps will keep up his good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard he was a great man.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am saddened to see him go. He did an awful lot of good for Canada and beyond and we're all much poorer for his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Another thing you wouldn't see in the US - First Nations taking part in a state ceremony. That was lovely. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so sorry for the loss....nice tribute...

    ReplyDelete
  12. "he made everyone feel special"...what a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely tribute to an obviously well loved man.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails