Saturday, August 27, 2011

P'town in Pictures



So good to have a change of scenery. You know what 'they' say...a change is as good as a rest.  We didn't get much rest!




We were in Provincetown, Massachusetts for 8 days.In case you don't know where this place is it is at the very tip of a very large sand dune called Cape Cod.




Lots of walking and lots of watching the 'sights'! Some of these were from the 'pre-parade' parade of people.




What a great town! Did you know that it is considered the most dog-friendly place in America? Don't tell Sophie that! lol




It was Carnival Week when we were there. It was a blast seeing everyone just 'being themselves' with no fear of recrimination from anybody.


The galleries were incredible! One could spend days just visiting these. 




We bought one from here...the one in the lower left corner. We knew exactly were it would go in the house.




I think I know what distinguishes Americans from Canadians.....population. Canada has 30 million people while the USA has over 300 million! I can appreciate how this can shape a country. We have so much in common with the States but more room to do it.


It was so good to be able to hold hands with Ron without causing heads to turn and comments to be said. It's the 'little things' that we miss being able to do. So for a week we could be who we are. It was nice. This is so taken for granted by so many people.




Since it was Carnival Week there was a parade. There were 100,000 people in this little town of 1350 ! We were advised that if we wanted to get good pictures we should go to the east end of town where it begins and before it hits the 'downtown' section of Commercial Street. So we did. And this is where we were 'stationed'. Not many people at first, but eventually it was as though they were coming out of the woodwork!



Some 'practice shots' of Ron across the street.


And the parade finally started!




The parade marshal was Charo. The night before we saw her in concert. There was a little a her 'hoochie, koochie' (she said this was what gave her the $$$$ to pursue a career in Spanish guitar as well. Two thirds of the show was guitar....and was it good! Who would have thunk!




As I said, her concert was very good. At first she talked quite a bit and would get all excited....I had no clue what she was saying but she was entertaining and we were glad we got to see her. I remember seeing her on the Ed Sullivan show when I was a kid......how old is this lady?! She did say that she was 250 years old! At least that's what I thought she said. Whatever, she plays a mean guitar!!


Instead of trying to fit/show every picture taken on our holiday, and to spare you the time that would take, as we took a combined total of 5000 photos, I will be posting pics for the rest of the year! lol


                             The Pilgrim Monument in the centre of town.





24 comments:

  1. Hi Jim! You are having a "jol" (great time) over there! It looks like so much fun,I would love to visit Cape Cod one day. Glad that you and Ron could be yourselves but sad to think that you cannot do so in your hometown for fear of comments and such....
    xoxo
    Liesl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks like great fun. It sounds like a rather nice liberating experience for you both.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home.
    Your Favorite Stalker, m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time! It looks like something I would have thoroughly enjoyed. I'm glad you were able to get some time away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I've never been to Provincetown, I have friends that were married there. I know from them that it is a town that is proud of its rich heritage, history and boasts America’s oldest art colony--I'm glad you and Ron had a great time!

    I love the artwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful place for a visit. Full of people, fun and excitement. But, 'fess up now, I bet you were glad to get back home, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just glad to have you back home, safely...
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. BENTORNATO Jim......I see you had just a most adventurous, wonderful time in this very original town.....!!!

    I LOVE your colourfull, happy mosaics with all the different themes; your PHOTO-ART-EYE catches delicate moments as well as architectural & cultural objects....just OUTSTANDING!!!

    I do love the handholding-mosaic very much....the doggy-lover-city-portraits....Ron who looks at the dog paintings, the fabulous galleries...( I'd love to visit each one of them...!)....!!

    WONDERFUL and very inspiring documentation of this original and truly sympatic town!!

    Wishing you a sunny sunday, Jim!!

    ciao ciao elvira

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great time! That's a lot of people to accommodate in such a small town!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you have had a fabulous time -love your choice of artwork xx
    glad to have you back ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great pictures. Brings back wonderful memories. (By the way, Charo, believe it or not, is only 60.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a colourful time you had, the photos are great!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really is great to have you guys back! Wow, what a wonderful place, I wish I could have been a flea in your pocket! That artwork is great, the parade was great - I like Charo and it was nice to see your personal pictures of her. It had to be nice that you could be you and have a great time. Super mosaics! Can't wait for the beach ones!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. We visited P.Town once and had a great time! How cool that you saw Charro:)

    Wyatt's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad you had a good time on your vacation. It makes me sad that you can't hold hands in your town. You have helped open my eyes to many things. I am thankful for you. Love, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd heard Charro was to be there and wondered if you got the chance to catch her concert/ How kewl was that!

    I love that no matter how many people they squeeze onto that whisp of land, it always seems like a small town. I'm sure during Carnival it got pretty crowded though.

    Maybe next time, Sophie could go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. JIM and RON. . .great photos. . .there is so much to capture of the experience which is Provincetown and you've made a great beginning. Looking at the collages I could almost 'feel' "being home". . ;-) I am glad you had such good weather. . .and isn't the Carnival week surge of touristas something else! ;-)

    Glad you were there. . .must be good, too, being back home. . .cioa,ciao. .
    justin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Charro!! And what a crack up that you took your vacation to a place that has MORE people than where you live!!! BOL!! What a great way to show the differences in our cultures!!

    Glad you're home safe. Looking forward to the 6000 photos! Stay safe during the storm.

    -Gizmo, Bart and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a wonderful time away with lots of great sights and sounds - and of course,the hand-holding. I hope one day you'll be able to do that where you live too without people batting an eyelid.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you both a wonderful time marching to the beat of your own drummer, Jim.

    Live, Love and be happy :)
    Pam i am

    ReplyDelete
  21. great photos...looks like you had a great time....I don't know how old she is but she still looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great vaca shots! I'll bet Sophie was excited to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome home! I loved P'town when I lived in New England. It was fun to have the memories flood back.

    As a side note, not all of the US is as crowded as the east coast. Part of why we moved away from the coasts was to get away from the crowds.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails