Monday, October 20, 2014

Contemplative Monday



I have been planning to change the source of these Monday quotes
to another enlightened person that I find inspiring
and helpful in my day-to-day routine.
I hope you do as well.

I had to wait to hear back from his 'office' before I started.
I heard back this week and it's A-OK to use his quotes
 as long as I am accurate and not profiting from his writing.

The only 'profit' I get is the thought it may help one person
get through the day more happily and compassionately.

His name is Thich Nhat Hahn. He is a Buddhist monk and one of the leading
spiritual masters of our time. If you wish to learn more about his life
you can find information on-line.

The source of today's quote comes from his book:
'The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh' (click to learn more)
from the Shambhala Pocket Classics.

A LIFE OF MIRACLES


" As we sit down next to a stream, we can listen to its laughter
 and watch its sparkling waters, noticing the pebbles glistening
 and the fresh green plants nearby,
 and we may be overcome with happiness.


We are one with the stream's freshness, purity, and clarity.
But in just an instant we may find we've had enough.


Our heart is troubled, and we think of other things. We are no longer at one with the stream.


It is of no use to sit in a peaceful forest if our mind is lost in the city.
When we live with a child or a friend, their freshness
and warmth can relax us.


But if our heart is not with them, their precious presence is neglected, 
and they no longer exist. We must be aware of them to appreciate their value,
to allow them to be our happiness.


If through carelessness and forgetfulness we become dissatisfied with them,
 and begin asking too much of them or reprimanding them, we will lose them.


Only after they are gone will we realize their preciousness and feel regret.
But once they are gone, all our regrets are in vain.


Around us, life bursts forth with miracles----a glass of water, a ray of sunshine, 
a leaf, a caterpillar, a flower, laughter, raindrops.
If you live in awareness, it is easy to see miracles everywhere.


Each human being is a multiplicity of miracles. Eyes that see thousands of colors,
shapes, and forms; ears that hear a bee flying or a thunderclap; 
a brain that ponders a speck of dust as easily as the entire cosmos;
a heart that beats in rhythm with the heartbeat of all beings.


When we are tired and feel discouraged by life's daily struggles,
we may not notice these miracles, but they are always there."




22 comments:

  1. I have read quotes from Thich Nhat Hahn before and they're absolutely amazing and really prompt introspection in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is precisely why I liked what he had to say from the start, Keith. He really made me stop and take a look around.

      Delete
  2. I have read books from him, he is wonderful and peaceful and oh so loving. The last book I read he had started living in a village where only Love sustained the area all was shared, they even had a tree doctor...I don't remember much, it's been a long time, I would read it again in a split second, but I lost it when I moved, I mean I didn't move fast enough and the owner threw out everything I hadn't picked up yet...when I said I would go and get the rest he said he threw everything out in 10 huge garbage bags. I would have gone through them but they were already gone. So I'm happy you've picked him, I can read him again through you, that's a comfort. Thank you Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes his home now is in France at Plum Village.
      I am happy you will reacquaint yourself with Thay's (his nickname) writings, Lorraine.

      Delete
  3. Will have to look up more of his works, he is right. Enjoy the time you have with who you have to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you will, Mick. I think you will be impressed with their simplicity and profundity.
      Good advice too.....it is so easy to become complacent with whom we spend time.

      Delete
  4. One Master follows another! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between the two of them, Debra, they have gotten me back on life's track more than a few times

      Delete
  5. I loved this post, Jim! I have never heard of Thich Nhat Hahn, but what wise words. And there are miracles, all around us, every day. It is a wonder just to be alive. Your beautiful stream pictures really pull me in and calm me down. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you like what he says, Louise! He has a special way as to how he gets us to notice what is around us.
      It sure is wonder just to be alive....just think of the possibilities otherwise!!
      Happy Monday and Happy Week to you too!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. This is what I like about him, Pat. He helps us to really open our eyes and feel that everything will be okay.

      Delete
  7. Ah, that's lovely with those photos, especially the final lines. Nice of him to grant permission.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'His people' got back to me Janie and I am sure he gives permission to a lot of people around the world to share his lessons.
      I am happy you liked this.

      Delete
  8. I am anxious, in a good way, to look up more of his works. This quote really touched my heart today...listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I remember when I first read and practiced his lessons......I realized that it was possible to pause/stop and be present in that particular moment.
      He is very big on 'walking meditation' as compared to 'sitting meditation'........I learned to walk all over again.
      You will love what he has to say. Enjoy.

      Delete
  9. I follow this monk on Facebook! Lovely rainbow water shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check this out Fiona. Thanks.

      Delete
  10. I read these words last night and knew they were right, but this morning, I read them again and that's when they really hit home. Amazing how a good night's sleep will bring wise words into focus, Jim. Are you okay with my quoting a few words from your post and linking back to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me again, Jim. I did go ahead and quote from your beautiful post. If a problem, do let me know. Many, many thanks for inspirational thoughts passed on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol. So good to see you.
      No problem at all. As Thay's people told me as long as you are accurate and give credit.
      Happy to hear that you liked his wise words and 'slept on them'.
      I think he is an incredible human being who has been helping people all his life.

      Delete
  12. Exceptional advice and perfect visual accompaniment. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails