Saturday, April 7, 2012

Retro Saturday


This is what the province of Nova Scotia looks like when covered in it's tartan!


And this is a bag-piper in full regalia wearing Nova Scotia tartan.


The guy in the middle playing drums, Gerry, was a good friend in elementary school.


If you click on this link you will see how seriously our tartan is taken in Nova Scotia:
http://nslegislature.ca/legc/statutes/novatart.htm




The Festival of the Tartans is serious business here!

It's obvious to all that visit Nova Scotia that a lot of us have Scottish ancestry and are very proud of that fact!

My mother was a MacIsaac and her mother was a MacDonald. I must admit that I am more partial to the MacDonald tartan than the Nova Scotia tartan. I think it could be interpreted as heresy to make a switch like that!  


Macdonald of Donald modern colors registered 1810
The Clan Donald tartan.


The MacIsaac's  do not have a tartan of their own but were given permission by the MacDonald's to adopt their tartan as a gift for helping them fight the Campbells.....way back when!!


So a little bit of history about 'tartan' here in Nova Scotia. Just an introduction to acquaint you with it should you enter and win my giveaway, because there is some Nova Scotia tartan included!


Easy to enter and have some fun at the same time. Click on the 'link' at the top left corner of  this post that says 'Giveaway'. Good luck!

Oh yes, check out the 'GIVEAWAY' I am having at the top left just below the 'header'!











22 comments:

  1. Roddy doesn't have a specific tartan either so had the choice of two & wears his Kilt to weddings & our own version of a Burns' supper. The kids are half Scottish but have grown up here in the south of England. Joe never knows whether to support Scotland or England in the rugby. Roddy being a Scot will support Scotland ... then WHOEVER is playing England !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A true Roddy is!! I think I like him already! Guess the MacIsaac's were a bunch of roughnecks and the MacDonald's gave them their tartan to keep them quiet! lol

      Delete
  2. Nice post, Jim. My hubby and I would love to visit the east coast at some point in our lives, and Nova Scotia is on our radar! East coast folks are some of the nicest people. Very friendly. And very talkative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started, Martha! lol
      We liked it so much we moved back from the west coast and haven't looked back.

      Delete
  3. I love the MacDonald tartan, Having no Scots blood (or Nova Scotian???), I do not have a tartan. That's a good thing; plaid does not suit me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I can see you in a kilt right now!! With knee socks.....shut up Jim! lol

      Delete
  4. I really like the tartan plaids, not on me though. I think the guys usually look quite great in those kilts! Do you have a picture of yourself in a kilt? Trying to remember... I'm getting old but still can appreciate nice legs. :-) Ah, but now I'm off on a different subject! :-)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I wish I had a kilt. I know I'll borrow my nephew's MacDonald kilt the next time he is here at a family function......and take a few pics to share and tell me what you think. OK?

      Delete
  5. Interesting post. I like the Clan Donald tartan too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a number of Clan Donald tartans for every occasion imaginable.

      Delete
  6. My mum is Scottish and has the McDonald tartan!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get out of here! Funny thing I was at a thrift shop this afternoon and found what I believe is MacDonald tartan.....a big swath of it from the end of a bolt probably. I'll have to check and see if it is.

      Delete
  7. Love plaid and love tartan, my hubby is of Scottish decent Forbes is the name, i believe their tartan has some purple in it if i remember although I only saw it once years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He'd be a Forbes eh? You can find it Jen on line by typing in 'how to identify a tartan'. There are so many and many MacDonald ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I feel like a Dumb Swede for sure. I never, all this time we have communicated, thought about what Nova Scotia really means. Now I know. Happy Easter to you, Ron, and Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you too Inger!
      There is a part of Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, that looks like the highlands of Scotland and it is there where most of the Scots settled....they felt at home, they did!

      Delete
  10. I like 'em both! There's an annual festival with Highland games in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love tartan and I wore the kilt, but I am not Scottish at all...
    MY kilt was not the required length either.
    Told you: I'm NOT Scottish!!
    ;)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get ya!! lol And you're NOT Scottish?! Strange!

      Delete
    2. Well, depending on whose asking,
      maybe I could [try to] be...
      only if I can mimmick the scottish accent!!
      Please note:
      My kilt wasn't short because I wouldn't spend for more fabric...
      Just so you know!!
      ;)~
      HUGZ

      Delete
    3. That fabric is very $$$$$. I see what you mean. I ALWAYS like the mini skirt/kilt!! lol

      Delete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails