Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Like Being On Another Planet


On Labour Day we headed to the south shore after lunch.




Since we live on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia it takes about an hour to get there.




We wanted to visit a part of the shore that is world famous for it's shore-scape......granite.




Also there is Peggy's Cove....a scenic little village with artists' studios, a lighthouse and a setting made by the gods!




It was on this shore that Swissair flight 111 fell into the ocean. That was in September 1998 and it turned our province upside down.




We went to an area that was between Peggy's Cove and the Swissair Memorial. Sophie was here once before and when she saw where she was, she couldn't wait to get to the rocks!




When walking over these huge granite rocks one has the feeling of being on another planet.




A look over at the ocean and one is awestruck by it's ominous nature.




It is so stark. And I was amazed that anything could grow in this area..




The Atlantic Ocean has been pounding these shores for tens of thousands of years. I can only imagine the size of these boulders back then!




When we first arrived we could see the lighthouse over at Peggy's.




In about ten minutes the fog started to roll in and envelop us on the rocks.




This can happen anytime here in Nova Scotia along the shores. 




As we were heading back to the car I looked back towards Peggy's and could see the lighthouse again.....the fog was starting to lift.









18 comments:

  1. lervely photos! i just love you guys and ms. sophie! and i love how you take her everywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it might be "stark" there but you certainly found a beautiful flower to photograph. Good eye!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the first time I was ever at Peggy's Cove -- I couldn't believe those huge, barren rocks! It was not at all what I was expecting, prairie girl that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful series of photos! I love the boulder-strewn landscape. The picture of Sophie looks like a painting - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely spectacular. The rock formations are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you live in such a beautiful place...I love the light house in the distance....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fascinating place! Love the rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowsers - what a bloody amazing landscape. All that granite gives it an almost eery look.

    Not only that .... you're looking good in the pics matey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I meant that Ron was looking good in the pics ....... I am always bloody getting your two blogs mixed up!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew Peggy's Cove sounded familiar...sorry it's for such a sad reason. But your photos are, as always, spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That kind of stark beauty sinks deep sometimes. And, I bet that place grows tough, rock strong people.

    I'm getting there with that glass, Jim. Today, I got a box, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! These photos are gorgeous!! This must have been a beautiful adventure, Jim. Love the pictures. Did I miss posts from your recent vacation? Or haven't you shared on that yet?
    Glad to see you all had a beautiful Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these photos are some of the best you have taken...wow. Nature is so darn amazing...makes me feel so small to see the ocean like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this geology. !

    That last photo is a real winner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://wanderinweeta.blogspot.com/2011/09/rock-flipping-day-coming-up.html


    Sunday is International Rock Flipping Day

    You are in the perfect location for that. Dont think these big ones count

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such awesome photos Jim! I could hear the wave crashing upon those boulders!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely. Every photo. I love the "shore-scape" and especially the one of the flower growing out of the rock. It reminds me of a Dharma talk I once heard on determination and perseverance.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails