Sunday, November 6, 2016

Eclectic Tastes


One of the first musical pieces I can remember as a child
is 'Darktown Strutter's Ball'.......
actually for years I thought it was 'Downtown Strutter's Ball'!

My father played it on the piano every Sunday
and my mother would sing the words so that the kids could learn them.

My dad can still play this....mind you with one hand only.
He says he has a hard time using both hands to play.
Considering he is 100 years old,
one hand is better than none at all.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.

3 comments:

  1. I love the song! It's a great jazz standard. Your father gives me something to hope for. Maybe I'll be able to play this number on the piano with one hand when I'm 100. I can't play it with both hands now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it should be, lovely lyrics, words we can all hear clearly, and those harmonies. Your Dad, he is a marvel. What a memory to start my week down here, cool and with rain. All good for a Monday, maybe it will douse some of those Guy Fawkes fires and rockets!! I don't know if they celebrate 5th November your way, but here it starts before 5th, and can go on for another week. I am all for having no fireworks on sale, and only public displays. The Fire Brigade received 402 calls overnight, one every 19 seconds at the busiest time. As you can surmise, I am not a fan of money spent (wasted) on sky rockets and fire crackers. Have a wonderful week up North.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sing song around the piano, those are wonderful memories, how lucky sounds like you had a wonderful enriching childhood Jim.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I really like your comments and appreciate the time you took to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails